Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMoralAnimal
    • CommentTimeJan 16th 2011 edited

Ok, I don't know about everyone else, but this website is such a gold mine of information is it next to impossible to find anything. I have been reading ALL DAY and trying to get some kind of comprehensive outlook on what causes salicylate sensitivity, what else can go wrong, and how to address it. So, here is my rough draft. I thought that it might help others as well. At a minimum, hopefully this can be used as a board to launch from when searching for information on the site. I only gathered information that has already been referenced on this website. Please leave me feedback or let me know if I should add anything.

Causes

Phenols and the Phenol-Sulpha-Transferase pathway
    Salicylates are a subgroup of Phenols, as are estrogens, xenoestrogens, and petrochemicals. The PST pathway is critical in processing not only phenols such as sals and estrogen, but also cysteine and phenolic amines such as epinephrine, nor-epinephrine, serotonin, dopamine, etc. This pathway converts sulfur  sulfites  sulfates. Sulfates are then attached to toxins so that they may be eliminated from the body. If something goes wrong so that sulfates are not produced at the end of the pathway, a backlog of chemicals build up in the body. Chemicals going “into” the PST pathway such as sulfur, sulfites, cysteine, adrenaline and other stress response hormones, and androgens such as estrogens, as well as toxins that require the end product sulfate to render them less toxic, all start building up in the body and may subsequently cause sensitivity problems from high levels. Hormones such as adrenaline/epinephrine that cannot be metabolized puts strain on the body and may eventually lead to adrenal problems, including adrenal fatigue. Unmetabolized neurotransmitters can cause a chemical imbalance in the brain, leading to depression and other mental disorders.

Nitric Oxide/Peroxynitrite Pathway
    http://www.elc.org.uk/papers/2003Martin_Pall.doc
    http://ehp03.niehs.nih.gov/article/fetchArticle.action?articleURI=info:doi/10.1289/ehp.5935

Genetics
    Strong genetic link. Often correlates with the autisim spectrum, chronic fatigue syndrome, ADHD, and fibromyalgia; potentially a link to Irish/Scottish heritage and perhaps Neanderthal DNA

Other Detoxification Pathways
    http://www.herbs2000.com/h_menu/det_phases.htm

Body and Stomach Acidity
    Low stomach acidity results in incompletely broken down food, which puts stress on the body and general metabolism to utilize or get rid of the chemicals and nutrients in food that are incompletely broken down and thus are not "bio-available" substances. This can also cause deficiencies in vital vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients. High blood and body acidity, consequently, impairs enzymatic activity and can disrupt the metabolism and the ability to break down food chemicals and nutrients into sources that can be utilized by the body. High blood & body acidity can be a counter measure if the stomach acidity is too low.

Heavy Metal and elemental toxicities
    Substances such as mercury, fluoride, chlorine, and lead can all be toxic in excess amounts. They can easily build up in the system and can be difficult to get rid of, leading to a cascade of metabolic problems.

Neuro-disregulation (via the Central Nervous System)
    At times the central nervous system never completed “linkage” or it may deregulate. An abnormality in neuroregulation can cause food and chemical sensitivities. Popular allergy elimination programs such as AAT or NAET, Neurolink, and the Dynamic Neural Retraining System all seek to address sensitivities by “rewiring” OR deregulating the nervous system.

Mast Cell Disorders (Masyocytosis, Mast Cell Activation Disorder/Syndrome)
    http://www.tmsforacure.org/mastocytosis.shtml

Leaky Gut & Intestinal Permeability
    “Holes” in the intestines can allow chemicals, toxins, partially digested food chemicals and matter, digestive juices, and microorganisms in the digestive tract into the bloodstream. Once in the bloodstream, the body reacts to them as foreign invaders leading to a "reaction" or be seen as toxins and can dis-regulate the metabolism.

Samter’s (Triad Allergy)

Mitochondrial/energy metabolism dysfunction

Neuroglycopenia

Hypoglycorrhacia

Transient Receptor Potential Cation Channels (TRP’s)

Methyl (or Methylation) Cycle and Glutathione

Solutions

low sal diet
    low (other sensitivities) diet
    Vitamin and Mineral supplementation (especially B-vits, Zinc, Magnesium, Vit. K & D, folic acid, taurine, and molybdenum. Popular sources include Quest, Kirkman Labs, Huston Nutracuticals, and Beyond-A-Century.)
    Enzyme supplementation (especially No Phenol/Phenol Assist, Coenzyme Q10. See above for popular companies)
    Omega 3’s vs Omega 6’s (in general, lower your Omega 6 and raise your omega 3 levels)
    Epsom Salts (useful to get Magnesium and add sulfate to the system to jumpstart detoxification and bypass the PTS pathway)
    Probiotic (to rebuild gut immunity, metabolism, and absorption, as well as control candidia and other intestinal flora/fauna imbalances)
    Control candidia/reduce sugar (reduces extra stress on your body)
    be careful of soaps/creams/cleansers/household chemicals
    Relaxation techniques/reduce stress (so that you don’t get a backlog of unmetabolized stress hormones and subsequent damage to all of your body systems if the PTS pathway is not working)
    Exercise (moderate to avoid an increase in hormonal levels like adrenaline)
    Address additional infections, diseases, parasites, etc and take appropriate medications/supplements
    Avoid caffeine (not only has sals, but is also dependent on the PTS detox pathway)
    Anti-histamines (to help control histamine related symptoms)
    Overdose/Poisoning solutions (baking soda, glycine, and charcoal, as well as No Phenol/Phenol Assist)

Testing

FET (Functional eicosanioid typing)
    ALCAT for aspirin
    A food and chemical Challenge (usually 5-14 days long)

Correlated Diseases & Problems

Estrogen Dominance
    Stress
    Multiple Chemical Sensitivities
    Other Sensitivities (Phenols, Benzoates, Histamines, Oxalates, Amines, Sulfur and Sulphites, Glutamates & MSG, Fluoride, Chlorine, Aromatic compounds, Cysteine, Petrochemicals, Estrogens and estrogen mimic-ers, Aspartame, Lectins, Mold, mildew, Latex, The Big 8 [Milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, fish, shellfish, soy, wheat], Gluten, Anti-oxidents such as Vit E, Nightshades)
    Fibromyalgia
    Arthritis & Joint pain
    Restless Legs syndrome
    Autism Spectrum (Including ADD, ADHD, Aspergers, Autism)
    Intestinal Yeast/Candida
    Small Bowel Bacterial Growth (SBBG)
    Pyroluria
    NSAIDS
    Mental Disorders (ie: Bipolar)
    Celiac Disease
    Myoclonus
    Thyroid issues
    Tinitus
    Sinus polyps
    Urticaria (Chronic Autoimmune Idiopathic Urticaria, Delayed Pressure Urticaria)
    Adrenal gland disorders (Adrenal fatigue)
    Electromagnetic Sensitivity
    Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
    Blood sugar dis-regulation (including hypoglycemia)
    Claustrophobic and fear of crowds
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011

I would also like to pitch in Nightshade plants as another possiblity of adding to the breakdown of the body. And, they just happen to all be in the high sal list as well. From Michael Fowler's book called "Nightshade Free Pain Free" he states:

"Nightshade plants contain more poisons than just nicotine; they also contain solanine, atropine, chaconine, tomatine, scopolamine, and more. Solanine is a cell disruptor; it can cause the lining of the cell wall to become inflamed leading to digestive problems...."

Nightshades were the first things that I noticed that hit me the hardest. aka. the first piece of my puzzle. I also seem to react to other high salicylate foods as well, but the most significant symptoms specifically (for me) of the nightshades are: pupil dilation, food addiction, nightmares, memory loss, and they act like an aphrodisiac.

My reactions to other high sal foods are a little different, but the "not being able to sleep", moodiness, and swelling are similar between the two kinds of reactions I have. I'm thinking it's the high sal content in the nightshades giving me these reactions whereas the nightshade chemicals give me the other reactions.

So, long off-topic story short, I just wanted to add in those nightshade chemicals to the puzzle because I think they are nasty little buggers. I'm still really new to this, so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm completely missing the boat :-)
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm
    • CommentTimeJan 17th 2011

Oh, except for the potato. That's considered safe on the low sals diet, but it's a no-no on the nightshade diet. I haven't gotten the courage to test the potato yet for me and see what happens. I need to get to a more stable point in my health and then see what happens by trying it again.
    Nightshades added!
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeJan 18th 2011

What are the other nightshades?
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm

I have a list of them on my blog - the main offenders are at the top of the list:
    http://nightshadejournal.com/2010/12/my-complete-listing-of-nightshades-and-foods-that-contain-solanine/

Unfortunately, I was so excited about finding a link to Nightshades that I made my site specific for that not realizing that those are only a piece of the puzzle for me and that salicylates may be another piece... if you scroll down on that page, I started logging the red things I found bother me and that led me here to research salicylates. I might have to rethink my domain name now :-)

Jenifer
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

Moral, what a great comprehensive list . You organized and made sense out of everything. You put it in such a logical order that maybe, just maybe it might educate my Dr. I've got to make a copy. Great job. Joan
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

Jen, I just went to your blog. It's incredible. I see what you mean about too specific. I did the same thing. As soon as I learned about sals and I gave them up and improved greatly I thought that's all there was to know. Suddenly my life made sense from childhood to present. I am not real computer savy, so when I went to Barnes Noble and there was no book on sals, I assumed there was no book so I better write one to help other people. But I focused it only on sals. It's a short but informative book with a little humor about my whole life. Anyway, I see there is so much I left out but its a good starting point. If I knew how to start a blog at the time I might have done that. In fact all the info on your blog would fill up my book.
    I just read the sad sad story and had tears in my eyes cause I know EXACTLY how you feel. Friends and family are tired of hearing it. Eating out is the pits. I dont know what to cook anymore. my food is very plain and my husband and sons are really tired of it. I still force myself to make a big pot of meatballs in spaghetti sauce which I cant touch and I know my sons shouldnt. But since they are also in denial I might try the Phenol Assist with them.
    I kinda think you are very ss and it just so happens that the nightshade list has a lot of the same foods on it.
    The night you had the headache in the back of your skull you had a DIET COKE with aspartame, which makes a lot of people sick. The cupcake might have had VANILLIN in it . The piece of chocolate may have caffeine and sulphites Ithink. But it all adds up.
    Even with this forum, I still feel sorry for myself and very alone. Especially when I talk to someone with the same symptoms and I try to explain ss and they insist that they couldnt possibly have it. I'm glad you are here. Joan
    its funny you should bring up aspartame. After doing all this research, what jumped out at me was the glutamates/MSG/aspartame link. I spent all day yesterday writing up a basic glutamates list and then working out a rotation diet. It was nearly impossible to collect the information from the site (and the site took me over an hour to find!) I've come to the conclusion that the only *SAFE* thing for me to eat is iceberg lettuce. That is not enough to live on. So, I'm eating a little bit of everything (a select list of foods that are the least offending) and rotating them through out the week. I'm hyper sensitive to gluten, casien, soy, yeast, sals, amines, MSG/natural glutamates, sulfur/ites, and oxalates. I also got a face mask (http://icanbreathe.com/). I found a lot a great links in the archives here. There is even a thread of just websites (that should be a sticky too). I'll post my glutamates list in a new thread.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

Now I feel bad for saying I feel sorry for myself. At least I can eat more than lettuce. I'm sorry Moral.
    not a problem.... i honestly think i was more miserable and sorry for myself when I had more options. Its gotten to a point where I'm in survival mode. We are all being challenged right now with a dietary problem of horrible complexity. That is why we are here together! :-)
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm

Jtoz54, I'm so glad I finally found this website with all of the people who have similar symptoms as me. It was a second "aha!" moment. I think of all of the things I was addicted to and that I hadn't been cutting out of my diet because I only had one piece of the puzzle. It's so difficult to put it all together on your own - eesh!

MoralAnimal, I do wish you the very best and that you get well soon!
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm

Oh my gosh! I just looked back at one of the last entries I had made (I'm really far behind). I look at what I made for Christmas dinner - OMG! What a salicylate disaster of major proportions. I only found the sal connection a little over a week ago. I feel so much better, too. Well, except for that probiotic I took tonight. oops.
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011

MH - Being lazy here (well it's late...) but what is that list again of the selected foods you do well on...? Well done on that other list...Couldn't you just research all day???!! (Sometimes you need all day)
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011

Hi Possum... was that a question for me? Or MoralAnimal?
    My list of safe food is peas, sushi rice, salt, sunflower oil, iceburg lettuce, and gd apples. Something (prob. several somethings) in that list is still making me really sick. Ive been making bread with a white rice flour too, and i think that might b a problem. At the moment, the only thing im 100% sure is safe is the lettuce.

Yeah... fortunately (or unfortunately) my major at school is biochemistry. It was a 4 day fast and research blitz and im burt out now. Saw most of my doctors yesterday and they all told me nothing is wrong with me or serious enough to be concerned about. I see my main doc tuesday. I have high hopes she can help me. She always beleives me and is usually 3 steps ahead of me already. Unfortunately, she is $200/hour.
    • CommentAuthorIris
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011

Hi Moral, I can eat gd apples only when they are cooked for several minutes, just an idea...

The bread is indeed risky, better stick to very plain preparations of food just for now. I too am really struggling at the moment and down to basics only.
    • CommentAuthoroliviac
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011 edited

Hi Moral, I have read that you have to watch that the sunflower oil is not cold pressed, otherwise it can cause reactions in very sensitive individuals.
    thanks for the great summary, I have been looking for something like this for a while - I just dont have time at the moment to trawl through everything!
    • CommentAuthorPossum

I thought cold pressed oils were supposed to be the very best generally??!! Or is this like not using organic for Sals...?

Jen that was a question for MoralAnimal & I meant to write MA not MH... Must've been tired... & thanks for answering it MA..;-)
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm

I second Possum's question. The only sunflower oil I've found locally is all cold pressed. I can find a refined safflower oil, though.
    Im using a sunflower oil from whole foods. It says its refined, but i wouldnt be surprised if it was giving me problems. :-(
    • CommentAuthoroliviac

I'm not sure exactly why cold pressed sunflower is a problem, I just have read it can cause reactions in very sensitive individuals. Have copied and pasted below:

Cold-pressed oils • cold pressed canola, sunflower and safflower oils can contain small amounts of salicylates that can build up slowly to cause symptoms • cold pressed ricebran oil although not listed for your supervised elimination diet seems to be well tolerated by some failsafers but there has been a report of a slow build up of symptoms from a family who are known to react to wholegrains (see wholegrains below).

From the checklist of mistakes on the food intolerance website:

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/information/mistakes.htm
    • CommentAuthorPossum

I react to canola oil BIG time anyway...& I'm sure the one they put in mayo & dips isn't cold pressed to begin with?!
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm

Yeah, I react to canola oil terribly as well.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54

What are your reactions to Canola oil? I use it all the time. could it be causing my dry burning lips?
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011 edited

Could well be causing that...
    I get lumps/bumps on my face which are sometimes itchy...so it's kind of a burning effect... This is my usual reaction to sals & other things...They can be painful & come to a head or have one already & can take a while to go down, or simply ooze all by themselves* (especially if it is in the same location as a previously almost healed one) This can then get infected particularly if, like recently, I also used a laundry liquid with essential oils in it!!

*If the latter it can take about 2 weeks as is sometimes from a buildup of sals & also can be added to by me then being ultra sensitive to things like a spray, the oil burner at work or someone's perfume!!??
    • CommentAuthorjeniferm
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011

Canola oil goes through me really fast - ouch!
    • CommentAuthoroliviac
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011

with all oils you need to check carefully if there are antioxidants in them, they can affect sensitive people badly. Sometimes they arent listed, so you have to phone the manufacturer. At least that's the case in Australia, not sure about how the labelling works everywhere else
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011

Thanks olivia - with canola oil in particular, it would be good to research exactly what it is - apparently rapeseed is a poisonous seed to birds & that is what it's made from & even though it may be ok for some humans in its unrefined state, the refining process alone has been cited as causing cancer in the workers...
    • CommentAuthorpollyanna
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011

This is a hugely informative and helpful thread for me, so thanks to everyone who's written in it so far!!!!

I'm still at the "feeling sorry for myself" stage and I'm at the bottom of the Sal learning curve, as I spent most of the past 10 years trying to figure out our family sulphite/sulphate problems, as well as going on increasingly limited diets and trying to sort out thyroid, oestrogen-dominance issues and inflammatory disease issues.

Also, the conflicting information is tricky since some sites rate bananas high in sals, while others say they are acceptable etc. :S

I will try to discuss No-Phenol with my practitioner, but again, the summary you provided above, MoralAnimal, is really helpful!!!

I haven't quite worked out yet (and would be glad if someone might explain to me) why people who are low on the PST side of things might react badly to sulphates and sulphites in foods? I would have thought we would have needed sulphates from some of the things I've read, but maybe I've just misunderstood how it works. We're all sensitive to sulphates, though, and have to take antihistamines if we are exposed to them, although we are ok with garlic and sulphur compounds, so I'm confused! :S

Any ideas, please let me know!!!
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011 edited

Confusing isn't it.....
    Sulphate isn't naturally in foods ( it is only there if it has has been added as an additive eg calcium sulphate) (correct me anyone if they know of a food containing natural sulphate) .. it is the oxidised form of sulphur/sulphite which the body "makes" from natural sulphur (or added sulphites) in foods which then is converted to sulphite which then is converted to sulphate... so I guess it is the sulphur you are sensitive to in foods rather than sulphate? unless you means the additives (drinking water does contain differing levels of sulphate & the air may contain sulphates depending on where you live)
    We DO need sulphate.. without it we would be dead as so many of the body's processes depend on it....a few babies are born without the ability to convert sulphur to suphate at all and they die soon after birth. We are all obviously converting some of our sulphur/sulphite otherwise we wouldn't be here chatting ;O)
    The "bad" reaction to sulphur/sulphites is thought to be because the body gets "stuck" at the sulphite stage (sulphite is toxic) and struggles to convert quickly/efficiently enough into the sulphate that the body needs..hence the reason why many of us here are trying to supplement sulphate in the form of epsom salts or glucosamine sulphate,
    Some people are sensitive to the chemical sulphates (eg sodium lauryl sulphate) in body care products which give them a skin rash - this could be just because sls is a surfectant/detergent... not necessarily because it is a sulphate..
    Hope this helps
    Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011

That seems very well explained...;-)
    • CommentAuthorjamaslee
    • CommentTimeFeb 28th 2011

Another great resource to add is "Chemical Sensitivity" by Sherry Rogers, MD (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0879836342). The book does a thorough job of explaining the origin of chemical sensitivities, medical problems that can arise from the sensitivities and lastly, ideas for treating. One of which, for example, was quite helpful for me. Rogers listed six trace elements that the body needs to create enzymes to move toxins out of the body. The book states that one or all of them are typically missing from those with SS or CMSS. In my case, I was devoid of Molybdenum. Knowing that really helps one figure out what they need most.

Great overview of SS, Moral. Thank you.
    • CommentAuthorPossum

Thanks for sharing that book link jamaslee!! It seems simply written so is easy to understand...I agree molybdenum is very important, particularly re metabolising sulphur...
    So what are the 6 trace elements (in a nutshell) I am still downloading so haven't been able to summarise yet...
    • CommentAuthornanciswell

How much molbdenum is recommended?? Does it have to be taken every day ?
    • CommentAuthorlindyd

I have this booklet.. I got it from ebay some time ago..
    another good book - particularly for beginners is
    Food Chemical Sensitivity
    what it is an how to cope with it
    Robert Buist
    .. it is an old book 1987 but relevant and can still be found 2nd hand on ebay or Amazon etc..
    I found it really useful in the early days and have re read it again recently
    Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011 edited

Nanci - A dosage of up to 250 micrograms of molybdenum per day is considered safe, while 15 milligrams can border on toxic. It would of course depend on your levels of sulphur/sulphite sensitivities...
    Hello everyone,
    I am new here; but not at all new to the sensitivity to salicylate and multiple chemical syndrome. At the present time, I am suffering with tongue pain and cracked blistered lips. I found a quick temporary relief eating Breyer's All Natural Vanilla ice cream. The cold, and the cream brings down the swelling and coats the burning areas.

What frustrates me, is that, everytime I try to lose weight and buy low-calorie foods, I forget that they are loaded with additives and preservatives, until the problem escalates. I just don't know how to lose weight and not have tongue pain at the same time. I do exercise vigorously a few times a week. Any suggestions on how to eat lean and not suffer?
    I try to eat alot of protein foods,egg white fried in butter,then I use paper towels to soak up the butter,dried beans,english muffins,fish and meat.I managed to lose 30 lbs,I can also eat peanut butter.I find the high protein foods give me energy and keep me fuller.I still eat the vegs I can,just eat alot of protein with them,and I cut out most dairy,other than my beloved butter in moderation,Jean
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011

I lost a little weight by giving up wheat. Because it really bloats me. I still eat a little rice and barley and have my Cabbage Barley lentil soup everyday for lunch. But giving up wheat seems to help drop a few pounds. I have been plagued lately with one canker sore after another in my mouth. Dont know whats going on. When I first changed my toothepaste to fluoride-free Toms Of Maine Silly strawberry and put Baking Soda on it my canker sores seemed to subside for a few years but suddenly they are back.
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2011

Joan - maybe your tolerance of strawberry flavouring has altered? Or the strawberry flavouring has changed? I'd check the list of ingredients in Toms toothpaste, in case they have mucked around with that...??!!

Jean - Good suggestion for V&M, re high protein foods to lose weight... Giving up wheat Joan is great idea too!! sometimes there are other foods that cause inflammation, & stall weight loss - I would suggest the Blood Type Diet... You can eat lots of good foods & need never feel deprived or go hungry...& you may regain your hair colour along the way...;-)
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

Hi Possum, you may be right about the Silly Strawberry. I just always thought it was better than a mint flavor.Is there a no flavor toothepaste? I cant seem to find one in my health food store. Whats this about regaining hair color? Joan
    • CommentAuthorPossum
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011

Well mine is definitely recolouring... I can pull up individual hairs & snip off grey ends & see that where the rest of the hair is attached is brown again...(& I am 50 in June) There are still some greys (even little ones regrowing) but I have not been very strict - I reckon (from what others have said) if I am more strict with what I eat (not scoffing so much chocolate) I will see even more improvement.. Oh & my eyebrows have even grown thicker...;-) = sign of a healthier thyroid...I think from what I have read...

Not sure re the toothpaste - I brush with plain water &/or baking soda as I have heard that glycerin in toothpaste is bad for de mineralising teeth...& I have yet to find a natural non fluoride one, that does not have glycerin in it...
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011

I had found one that was flavor-free and fluoride free but had xylitol in it, which is made from corn and birch which I am allergic to so........... I'll have to check my roots but I think I still have a lot of grey. Thats really cool that yours is coming back.
    • CommentAuthorsharib
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011

I am brand new to this forum . . . although I have been reading it for a week or so now. I just turned 50, my children are 14-year-old Trevor and 18-year-old Ashley. I believe I have been suffering from a salicylate sensitivity problem my ENTIRE life and my children are also afflicted. Many, many years of allergy testing, doctor visits, etc. with little or no relief and always WHAT IN THE WORLD is wrong with my family. I believe my husband is also affected although he is in a general case of denial. (People should have to take a health survey before they marry someone who has the same health problems and thereby have children with similar health concerns that are exponentially compounded! Just kidding--though not really.)

Something to add to the "testing" list above: Electrodermal Screeing or EDS, which is a form of non-invasive testing based on the flow of energy running through an individual's body; somewhat akin to acupuncture; "Phenols" showed up as being a major "stressor" for both me and my son (Ashley has an appointment next week, although I'm sure she will test positive also). I had heard the word before but did not know the major-league implications of having such a sensitivity. When I started researching the subject, I had multiple "oh my gosh" moments. So many symptoms, so many implications. I often feel so horrible myself, and my kids feel similarly. My major goal is TO GET THIS THING FIGURED OUT SO THAT MY KIDS DO NOT HAVE TO GO THROUGH THEIR LIVES FEELING LIKE I HAVE FOR 50 YEARS! All of us have also tested postiive for the MTHFR mutation, which is a genetic mutation that directly impacts the body's ability to methylate. Everything finally, after all these years, makes sense . . . the symptoms (feeling like we all have the "flu" a lot of the time, but of course knowing that you can't have the flu continuously), feeling not-too-bad until we eat, then feeling horrible when we do (bummer we have to eat), etc. Of course, knowing some of the causes is only a tiny bit of the puzzle. Getting better is the difficult part . . . enzymes, epsolm salt baths, vitamins (ones that are already ACTIVATED because our bodies can't metabolize ones that aren't), hypothalamus support, etc. And when I don't feel well, it's difficult for me to concentrate/think and then I'm totally useless for my family. And so, the cycle perpetuates. Finances, of course, is also a HUGE issue.

And of course, balancing "research" with just "normal" stuff is very difficult. I find that I have to put the medical stuff on a back burner a lot of time and we all just have to "plow through" because we still have to live our lives and go to school and go to work and go to soccer, etc. It's very overwhelming. Of course, when someone asks you how you are doing, you can't even BEGIN to tell them, because number one, where do you start, and number two, you don't want them to think you're nuts!

So, now, I have to get away and do some "normal" stuff and forget for awhile about all of this. Thanks to all of you for your information and input. My printer is getting quite a work-out.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011

HI Sharib, Know exactly how you feel. I will tell you that it wont take long for you to become obsessed with this site. Especially after your friends get tired of hearing about it. My family is denial also. The jury is still out on whether my husband has ss but I know my 2 boys do. ( 25 and 22 yrs old) They refuse to admit it and cause me so many sleepless nights when they eat chicken parmigiana, buffalo wings and drink beer. Then my one son who has a chronic cough will get a rash on back and neck, phlegm in throat and will eventually need an antibiotic when it goes down his chest. I know how bad taking antibiotics is so I always give him acidolphillus with it. My other son has chronic sinusitis, clearing throat with a strange noise, is adhd and loud!!! They are both handsome, athletic guys and dont want to admit that they have a weakness called SALS. After a lifetime of ss symptoms and knowing I was allergic to aspirin I just discovered sals in foods 4 yrs. ago. ( at 52 ) I am a new person. Well I know my boys will continue to get worse but at least they will have my book "The Healthier I Ate the Sicker I Got" to refer to when they hit bottom like I did. HOpefully your kids are young enough to accept your diet restrictions to help themselves. My boys fight me on taking the baking soda at night after eating high sals. And they will only take the Phelol Assist I hand it to them while they are eating, but they wont take one to put it their pocket when they eat out. Oh well. I just bought the AlkaSeltzer Gold Antacid ( no aspirin) but I am not happy that it has Magnesium Stearate and Mannitol. Does anyone out there know if Mannitol acts as a laxitive like Maltitol? Take care , Joan
    • CommentAuthoraugust
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2011

Mannitol is a sugar alcohol, like maltitol. That means humans rely on bacteria to digest much of it. So yes, it would cause some gastrointestinal problems. It would depend on how much you consumed, of course. A tiny amount shouldn't be a big deal... I would think!
    • CommentAuthorbebe
    • CommentTimeJun 22nd 2011

Hi Moral Animal, I just read your list and the following comments by everyone here. Very impressive, thank you!! It puts many things into perspective and dots a lot of "i's" and crosses various "t's".

I definitely want to look into this phenol assist as well as glucosamine sulphate and molybdenum.

Joan, do consider going completely off all trace gluten for a while and see how you do. The canker sores and the bloating are both big signs of severe gluten intolerance if not celiac (which often is not caught in their testing). Often these conditions worsen as one gets older if left untreated. They can also lead to other auto immune problems or cancer; neither of which any of us need.

I also find L-glutamine to be very healing and helpful for me. Any info on that??

Interestingly, my stomach has plenty of stomach acid. Its the intestines down below where I have problems, though baking soda can and often does give me relief if I have eaten the wrong thing. Celery helps me too. Does this make sense??

Aspirin gives me bruises, like it did my maternal grandmother. And my dad was "allergic" to wintergreen.
    • CommentAuthorlisajane
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011 edited

hi, i have read that low progesterone could be one cause for salicylate intolerance. would using a natural bioidentical progesterone cream be any help to bring progesterone levels up? so would then help a little with the intolerance!
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeJun 28th 2011

Hi lisajane
    Where have you read about the progesterone link? Do you have website links you can let us have?
    Lindy x