Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorsparkler
    • CommentTimeNov 5th 2012

Hi all,

I think I may have finally pieced some of the pieces together with my food intolerances and health issues.
    For years I have worried that my body has been reacting to sals and amines but I am now thinking that these reactions may just be a symptom of another problem.

For the last few years (as long as I have been sensitive to sals) I have had a fructose intolerance causing bad gut pains and diahorea. My main cuplrits were honey, apples, pears and peaches.

Apparently when the fructose (fruit sugar) is not properly absorbed in the small intestine it enters the large intestine where it is gobbled up by yeast and bacteria causing overgrowth. This causes gas (tummy pains) water retention (diahorrea) and overgrowth of yeast and microbes. Large numbers of yeast and microbes create lots of fermentation, produce large amounts of vasoactive amines which cause the intestine wall to become laeky (leak sals into the body).

If this is true I may be able to repair my gut wall with a low fructose diet ???

I am off to the GP on Thurs to see if I can get breath tested for intolerances to fructose or lactose and to see about trialling a FODMAPS diet.

Has anyone else tried this diet with any results?
    • CommentAuthorKiwi
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2012 edited

If you have fructose malabsorption, you are quite likely to be gluten intolerant and going gluten free is the only way to heal your gut. I discovered that I am gluten intolerant nearly 4 years ago and developed fructose malabsorption, SS and histamine intolerance as a result of the damage caused to my small intestine by gluten. I was 'getting on' when I discovered my gluten sensitivity and my gut isn't healed yet, but I have improved in small measures since going GF. The older you are when discovering gluten intolerance, the longer it takes for the gut to heal and in fact gluten harms everybody. It is the underlying cause of over 300 differrent symptoms and illnesses. (Medically proven).

The gluten damage destroys the small intestine's ability to create the enzymes necessary and lactose intolerance is linked to gluten sensitivity/damage. I have that as well.
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2012 edited

Many people have an overgrowth of yeast in their gut. The only way to get rid of it is to starve it by not eating any sugar or carbs.So you are half right to avoid the fruit and sugar but you also need to avoid carbs, mostly wheat. I just read that there is something in modern day wheat (genetically modified in the 1950's) that causes our blood sugar to rise higher than eating a candy bar or pure sugar.

Many of us started our overgrowth of yeast years ago by taking one dose of antibiotics after another without also taking a probiotic . By killing off all the bacteria, including the good bacteria in our intestines we set the stage for yeast to take over. Yeast sends out its tenacles and breaks through the intestines forming leaky gut.

Gluten makes things worse by damaging the little villi in our intestines which produce the enzymes needed to digest food properly. This whole environment can create all the symptoms you are experiencing but you think are only from fructose. I would get off sugar and gluten for awhile and see how you feel.

Also keep in mind that the culprits you mentioned, honey,pears etc are high in sals if you were eating the fruit with the skin on. Well good luck, Joan
    • CommentAuthorLisaMaryT
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2014

Hello-I have been on a very strict low sal FAILSAFE diet since 2010. I recently discovered through the 23andme genetic test and livewello interpretation software that I am +/+ for ALDOB, the gene that can cause HFI - Hereditary Fructose Intolerance. I had tried the FODMAP diet earlier this year and became much worse so have blended this diet into my protocol and have improved: http://www.bu.edu/aldolase/HFI/treatment/Diets.html. Please contact me at bhtnc@hotmail.com if you have any questions. Best of health to all of us!
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2016

Fructose is not gluten. I have fructose malabsorption, and I don't have celiac disease.
    • CommentAuthorLlij
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017

Hello, my nutritionist believes I have had a leaky gut for years since many antibiotics when younger. She put me on a strict no sugar diet three months ago. She says if I can get my gut healthy it will help lower my salicylate and sulfite problem's. I also cannot tolerate wheat, dairy and caffeine so it's all a bit of a problem finding things to eat. I hope this will eventually help and I won't have to keep a food diary which I have done for 40 years trying to fathom why I was always ill. Living in hope!
    @Llij,

No sugar? Does it include natural sugars or is it only added sugars?