Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Hi all,

I'm really missing wearing make-up (having shampoo, perfume... you know girly stuff)
    I've read on the forum that mineral make-up can be ok. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Inika brand (http://inika.com.au/) and could tell me if they react to it? They've got such lovely colours that I'm immediately suspicious (he he).

Any other brands you could recommend? I've tried the Andrea Rose lipstick and moisturiser and that seems nice. But her eye shadow range isn't great and no nail polish/remover (can we even use nail polish?). I'm guessing there isn't a perfume on the face of the planet that is safe for us?

Any advice or shared experience would be appreciated!!
    • CommentAuthorpippa
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Hi , sorry can't help you as I never wear make up as it seems that even the kind you buy in health food stores have toxic ingredients and/or preservatives in them.
    Hi Pippa, yeah I'm really wary of anything that doesn't specifically say it's SALs free now. I know mineral make-up is supposed to be ok but I'm still too new to this to know what chemicals are and aren't ok!

I've never really had a problem with skin reactions to make-up. But in a way that's worse. I get a lot of internal trauma from SALs so make-up with SALs most likely does affect me I just don't see surface results. It's why I'm so wary as apart from starting to feel sick and knowing it's not my diet I'll have no indicator if make-up is bad or not!
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2013

Once in awhile I spray a little Body Fantasies, Vanilla body mist. I use a blue eyeliner, either by L'Oreal or Cover Girl.
    I wear lipstick everyday. I finally found one that I love. Its Hemp organics. Its made of minerals and doesnt have any artificial colors made from petroleum. I love the pink one called "Rose Petal and a light brown called "Chai".

I never wore a foundation so I wouldnt know about that, but I think Hemp Organics carries that too.
    • CommentAuthorbebe
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013 edited

So what is this about Cleure. Isn't it supposed to be better? There are some threads here by the way about this very subject.

I personally have been too chicken to try theoretically safe lipstick or eyeliner since I know already I am so very sensitive to colorants to begin with. Whether its natural or not, colorants are colorants, aren't they??

What to do but try and jazz up the dress a little, eat as right as one can, take certain needed supplements -- and exercise and stay in good shape? My bf does not seem to mind...
    Hi Jtoz54 :D

ooOOOooo great suggestion with the Vanilla!!! Funnily enough I've always loved the smell of vanilla and it IS on the safe list!! Looking forward to wearing a little perfume on special occasions again!! Thank you so much for the suggestion!!
    Hey bebe!

I have heard that Cleure is supposed to be good although I don't own any yet! They actually make only salicylate free make-up so everything on their site 'should' be safe for us! Unfortunately I'm an artist and I love wearing bright colorful makeup. So for me Cleure is a bit boring as they only have a handful of earthy tones.

I did read on the fedup.com.au (food intolerance) site that the aussie brand Inika's mineral make-up is considered "safe" but it's not a sals specific forum so I'm not sure. I'm asking around though because their mineral eyeshadows are beautiful!

I am planing on buying some foundation powder (for special occasions) and some other staples from Cleure though!

For my two cents I really like the Andrea Rose lipstick, unlike other 'allergy free' make-ups I've tried over the years it has a good consistency and it stays on! I also love her lip balm!
    • CommentAuthorpruittmama
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013 edited

This discussion reminded me of something my mother told me years ago. Women used to dab a little vanilla behind their ears many years ago. It was quite common apparently.
    The scent of vanilla is a favorite of mine. In fact, the perfume Shalimar that I wore years ago (before ss) reminded me of vanilla.
    Just my 2 cents!
    Cindy
    • CommentAuthorbebe
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2013 edited

I discovered I had a little extra money this month--so I decided to splurge and order some lipstick, eyeshadow, eyeliner and Emu oil from Cleure. Am crossing my fingers these products will be OK for me!! Even though my bf still thinks I am beautiful, as I am getting older I have noticed I could use a little more color.

At some point I also want to skin test a patch of Rainbow brand Henna to see if that will agree with me or not too.

BrookeZilla, this discussion is actually what inspired me...
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013

Just remember even if they say salicylate free they still might contain artificial colors. I wanted to avoid them and the hemp organics are all minerals and no dyes.
    • CommentAuthorSts70004
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2013

My wife uses loreal loose mineral makeup, doesn't seem to bother her at all. She also wears a rose scented perfume that she found. Rose hips are on the moderate, but she doesn't seem to react to it. Also, nail polish seems ok for her, we're just careful to not get it on her cuticles, an straight acetone she uses for a remover. Again no issues for her.
    • CommentAuthorbebe
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013

Well I tried the Cleure lipstick and really unfortunately it was awful. It went on fine but a few minutes later I started feeling unfocused and confused. Then my lips started burning--not super hot but definitely irritatingly there. I had to remove every bit of it. Too bad!! Now I have to figure out who to give it to. I guess I am still too sensitive to use any kind of colorants on my skin at all, whether salicylate and gluten free or not.

Thankfully when I paint with artist colors I can use gloves...
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013

Hi , I'm telling you I tried them all and hemp organics are great. Look great, feel great. The rose petal is a nice pink n chai a nice brownish. Dont try pink satin its horrible. Doesnt seem to show up n very hard not creamy but the others r very creamy n no artificial colors to burn my lips. Joan
    • CommentAuthorbebe
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013

Well I am a little reluctant to try it Joan. Hemp is high in salicylate. Plus I also react to a lot of the earth colors--many are quite toxic. I could probably get away with using something with iron in it as a colorant and that's about it. I even react to charcoal--due no doubt to the original salcylate content. I think I was foolish to think Cleure cosmetics would work for me given all that...

Bea
    Hi! This posting is so valid for us at the moment as went shopping for DD (coming up to 12) for some cosmetics/hygiene products. Previously she used the Tisserand range or body shop but as you will all know and we have just found out the hard way, that these lovely products are too high in salicylate activity. We found some products in the L'oreal range ( a basic concealer and bronze powder) and a lip gloss (natural colour), we found eye shadows but we agreed she is too young for that just yet. We had to keep an eye out for alky benzoate, BHT, linalool and any fruit /spice products. We found a deodorant from 'Nivea' for ladies with no fragrance and no benzoates and we are all using it (M+D), as she used to react to our personal products too! We wipe her face with safflower oil then plain water. Baby 'Sanex' takes care of the personal cleaning but we are looking for shampoo as she has curly hair and loves swimming but for now 'Sanex' will do. Love the tip about vanilla as this is the only spice she can have which is so fortunate as it is in chocolate! The only toothpaste we have found is from Kingfisher and is the fennel with fluoride other flavours such as mint and cinnamon are bad news, as sadly is the health food shop they come from (lavender oil and or pepper smell). Thanks for starting this thread and good luck with your search for beauty products.x
    • CommentAuthorJo59
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2013

I have used Bare Minerals Matte Mineral foundation with no problems. However, the original Bare Minerals foundation caused my skin to itch and burn. The culprit was the bismuth oxychloride in it and the Bare Minerals Matte foundation does not have that ingredient, nor does it have any mica in it.

Good luck and hope you find some products that work for you!

Jo
    •  
      CommentAuthorvesper7
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013

I safely wear a full selection of makeup. I wear cover up, eyeliner, blush, eye shadow, lipstick, mascara, etc. What exactly are you looking to try? I can share some brands with you if you'd like.
    •  
      CommentAuthorvesper7
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013

Makeup products I use every day, without any problems (I don't wear all of these at once...hahaha, but I wear some combination of these every single day):

Covergirl and Olay Simply Ageless concealer in Light

Marcelle face powder in Translucent

Physicians Formula Mineral Wear Talc-Free Mineral Correcting bronzer in Light Bronzer

Annabelle blush in colour 44

L'Oreal True Match Super-Blendable blush in C3-4 (Tender Rose)

L'Oreal Wear Infinite eye shadow in various shades

Revlon ColorStay eyeliner in Black

Annabelle Skinny brow liner in Universal Medium

Covergirl Lash Blast Volume mascara in Black

Maybelline Great Last in Blackest Black

Smashbox Limitless liquid liner pen in Jet Black

Lancome eye shadow base in Nude

Lancome L'Absolu Rouge lipstick in Fleur de Lis

Stila eye shadow in Moonlight

Lancome Color Design eye shadow in Style Section

Lancome Color Design eye shadow in Pink Zinc

You will always have to check ingredients, though. Maybelline Great Lash is safe, but some of their other mascaras are not, for example. Physicians Formula is another brand where every line is quite different. I have broken out in hives from some lines within the same brand, but have been totally fine with others.

For moisturizer, I use Marcelle's Essential Moisturizer: http://www.marcelle.com/fr/soins-de-la-peau/essentiels/essentiels-creme-hydratante

Let me know if you have any specific questions. I also have a range of hair products that I don't react to at all.
    • CommentAuthorMacka
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2017

Hi. Does anyone experience brainfog and extreme fatigue as a result of their SS ?