Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    I'm doing much better now that I realized histamine was a problem. I was reacting to aged foods: cheese, supermarket meats (4+ months old), aged foods, and so forth... and an anti-histamine has greatly reduced my symptoms.

Now I need to get my testosterone levels up... I'm 26 and they're at 260ml/dl or lower. Normal is 400-900.

I'm prescribed both shots and androgel. The shots have sulfite preservatives in them, plain as day on the bottle. I've always had REALLY bad reactions to the shots. Now I "think" I've had bad, but much more mild, reactions to the Androgel. So much so that I haven't been on
    any testosterone replacement for over 4 months. But It's important that I get my levels up.

So on to the Androgel. I started taking it two days ago. Coincidentally, I started feeling "bad" again about two days ago. Hmm.. coincidence? Maybe.

Here are the ingredients on the bottle. I can't figure out if any of these would be a problem to someone very sensitive to gluten, histamine, and sulfites, and possibly sensitive to salicylates.

--- TESTOSTERONE USP

--- CARBOPOL 980 (Could this be carbomer 980?)

--- ETHYL ALCOHOL

--- ISOPROPYL MYRISTATE

--- SODIUM HYDROXIDE (I see this a precursor to sodium sulfite, not sure if this is a sulfite itself but seems to be used in their production)

--- PURIFIED WATER

Are there any alternatives to Androgel or shots (shots being COMPLETELY out of the question)? Think a compounding pharmacy could make a transdermal cream without wouldn't get me sick?
    • CommentAuthorMoralAnimal
    • CommentTimeApr 27th 2013 edited

i take petadolex (a standardized butterbur extract) with my shots to counteract the sodium benzoate and it works really well. without my petadolex, im miserable for almost the whole week right up to my next dose.

My doctor told me that petadolex is apparently being used for multiple chemical sensitivities as an off-the-label indication in europe and is increasingly more common in the states. increased testosterone is making me less sal sensitive (i suspect my ss is caused by trouble with my PST pathway AND my multiple other sensitivities are in part caused by estrogen dominance, or my body perceiving it as estrogen dominance even tho i had normal levels). petadolex combined with my vitamin/mineral supplementation, and now quercetin, i'm eating a much broader variety and fewer symptoms. i got a lot better on vits/mins, but the petadolex is what gave me the ability to take T. the T gave me the ability to take quercetin. i'm hoping building up my tolerance with quercetin will let me do liver herbs like milk thistle and dandelion

i couldnt recommend petadolex enough. it is the closest i've seen to a "medication" for ss. it might help you tolerate androgel, or even shots again
    according to this post by black wizards last year- http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1827

black wizards Aug 8th 2012 edited
    If you take milk thistle it's probably best to take a supplement which has been standardised to have a guaranteed minimum amount of Silymarin. Butterbur has been found to inhibit leukotrienes, and is supposed to be an antihistamine, which could also help, but long-term use might be a problem. It's hard to know which leukotriene inhibitor is the best to take, but it's likely that some leukotriene production is required for a healthy inflammatory response, so inhibiting them can be overdone.

On the July 11, 2012 post on the ASA or Samter's Triad thread it says "Leukocytes from aspirin-sensitive, but not from aspirin-tolerant, asthmatics generate 15-hydroxyeicosatetraenoic acid (15-HETE) when incubated with aspirin". 15-HETE is a TRPV1 agonist, so it makes me think that it may be part of an important inflammatory feedback loop. It is derived from gamma linolenic acid, so maybe supplementing with GLA isn't a good idea.

Gamma Linolenic Acid: An Anti-Inflammatory Omega-6 Fatty Acid
    Rakesh Kapoor... 2006
    Moralanimal, I'm glad you responded.

It turns out it wasn't the androgel that I was reacting to but instead Lundberg Sushi Rice.

I realized that everytime I ate it, I'd get a hotflash within 30 minutes (typical of a reaction) followed by falling asleep for 1-3 hours. I'd wake up, eat some more, and be asleep again. There's no question it was the rice. I cut it out, and the reactions stopped.
    Unfortunately now I'm back to eating nothing but grass fed, organic beef. I need some sort of carbohydrates.

You responded with:

MoralAnimal Feb 17th 2013
    I react to lundberg rice.... it baffles me. I don't understand it at all, since I was ok with it the first 8months I was sal free. 2 years later, i still react to it, but I'm fine with any other rice.

What in rice could I possibly be reacting to? Can't be histamines, sulphites, or salicylates...??
    • CommentAuthornanciswell
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013 edited

Rice is not always right for some -- beyond the sals { the white sushi I react to the least .. it is the lowest on the sal list } // Does it have lectins maybe?? tryptane which is one of the amines which alot of people react to.. Also most rice is high in arsenic .. you would have to google to see if the organic lundberg also has any as I figure the arsenic is from fertisers??

I have continual reactions ... as my mast cells in my gut are always firing.. I have been eating the same five things for over a year now but was still having digestive problems and now things have improved with taking sacc boulardii .. which stabilises mast cells as well as kills off clostridia.. So one of those two things is curing my problems.. I need to take alot .. two capsules before each meal and another two before sleepign in order to get relief..
    • CommentAuthorAvalon
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013

Hi there,
    There are amines in rice including Histidine which is the precursor to Histamine. I've become totally intolerant to rice too (and potatoes) so you have my every sympathy. Also, as Nancy said, there's arsenic in rice.....doesn't sound healthy!
    ha! I actually ended up moving to northern california where lundberg rice is raised. I've pretty much stopped eating rice because lundberg brand is almost the only thing available here. In fact, most local food i'm reacting too. I react pretty strongly to the water here, there is really something in the water... water filters on the shower barely helps. Still haven't identified it. I've been taking pre-med classes and I talked to my chem teacher one day in lab about it. We thought it was an organic substance, which I think is probably leaking into the water table from Paradise and Magalia, a population of about 50 thousand people all on septic. There also is a lot of mercury and chemicals lying around in the lake beds and streams from the gold rush in the 1800's. Maybe its the local conditions that make lundberg a no-go. idk.
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2017

Men are supposed to have a 9 to 1 ratio zinc to copper diet and women are supposed to have a 4 to 1 ratio zinc to copper diet. Unfortunately a majority of the healthy foods they promote today (sweet potato, avocado, etc.) are high in copper and low in zinc coupled with the demonizing of eating red meat (best most absorbable zinc source - you can have 6 to 8 servings a week spread out) you have many people with high copper diets. The dark meat of the chicken (legs, wings, thighs) would be your other source of zinc as they have 19% zinc per leg, thigh, etc. A hamburger has 54% zinc. The chicken breast has 4% zinc.

Also minimize your cheese intake as the fermenting process actually adds estrogen to the cheese which is easily absorbed by the body. Milk does not have estrogen because it is not fermented. Look up phytoestrogens and you will find a ton of food such as raspberries, celery, soy, etc. that are high in phytoestrogens. Phytoestrogens are foods that the body easily absorbs the estrogenic property of the food thus increasing your estrogen levels.

Your testosterone levels will increase to healthy levels without a need for testosterone replacements if you change your diet.
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017

Chocolate is a food high in copper so if you can minimize chocolate to help maintain the 9 to 1 ratio of zinc to copper.