Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2014

As a few people have said that they would like to be able to share recipes this thread can be used temporarily for Forum Members to add their favourite recipes. When Bryan manages to get the site Recipe section completed they can then be transferred.
    Please remember that recipes posted on this thread will not have been checked by Admin so it is the responsibility of individuals to ensure that the ingredients forum members have isted are ok for them personally.
    xx
    oatmeal banana cookies

I found a recipe online where they used 2 cups oats and 2 bananas, I use 1 1/2 c grounded cashews with 4 bananas. I found them chewy, not crunchy and taste more banana then
    oats.

you need 4 bananas mashed with a fork
    1 1\4 C grounded cashews(mine were salted)
    3/4 gluten free oats

Mix ingredients until well blended, I use my hands
    roll into balls, place on greased pan and flatten to desired thickness
    Preheat oven to 350F and bake 10-12 minutes, flip over half way

You can add a few drops of vanilla extract or add cocoa nibs.

I top mine with pear sauce, sometimes I sweeten with white(non-GMO) sugar

I love Shephard's Pie, but with corn(french way known as pate chinois), instead I use cooked cabbage. Ground beef at the bottom, cabbage in the middle and potatoes on top.
    Cook in oven at 350F for 30 minutes. I broil for last 10 minutes for that golden brown crunch. So yummy!!!

Salicylate free beef stew

I boil stewing beef for an hour and add cabbage, celery, rutabaga, parsley and potatoes and salt. I like mine thick, like a gravy. So much better.
    I often boil a carcass of my left over chicken for Chicken Stew made with same ingredients.

Banana/Cashew butter pancakes
    I make my own cashew butter with unsalted raw cashews, I roast mine in Sunflower oil, only oil I can handle.

You need one ripe banana, 2 eggs, I use my blender, add on heaping tbsp of cashew butter and 2-3 drops vanilla extract.
    You can add 1/2 tsp baking powder, but I notice they don't raise all that much so don't bother, I do not mind flat pancakes.

Cook on greased skillet at medium heat, they take a while to cook and top it with pear sauce.
    That all sounds so yummy racenut always but way to sensitive for me but great ideas for others at that level, I have to eat alot of eggs as cant eat meat of any kind even chicken so to make them a bit meatier I sometimes grate some potato into them ,I do have to make sure it is cooked well though due to my sensitivity , One of my best things is golden syrup and I put it on all my food just seems to make it all more eatable.I basically eat the same thing day in and day out, and I give thanks for Green Beans and Eggs. Isnt that meant to be Green Eggs and Ham.Ha Ha yes if we dont laugh were sure to go bonkers. Love and Light Vanessa
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2015

Hi how do you make homemade cashew butter ? I bought a jar today at the health food store. Youre not going to believe this. It was $22. My husband was furious.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2015

Uggh! it is really cheap in the UK - could be cheaper for you to get some shipped over to you!
    It is just cashews ground up with a little oil - not sure if they roast them first - if you have a food processor you could experiment!
    x
    Cashews are very expensive, but at the health food coop where I buy them, they have them in bulk, either whole, or broken pieces, which are cheaper. I buy the broken pieces and then make my own in the food processor. I find I have to add a little canola oil to get it to blend, otherwise it's too dry.
    The stuff you buy in a jar will often have oils that are not approved for low sal diet.
    Members with nightshade issues may not appreciate this recipe.
    We omitted the thyme, basil and bay leaf because they are high in salicylates and added a clove of fresh garlic to the onions and meat.
    Made a half recipe but next time I will make a full recipe but still half the meat - it is really yummy as-is but a little too much meat for the kiddos. They gobbled it up.

Hamburger Soup
    2 pounds hamburger (ground beef or protein of choice)
    1 cup chopped onions
    1 cup cubed potatoes
    1 cup sliced carrots
    1/2 cup shredded cabbage
    1/2 cup chopped celery
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 cup raw rice or barley
    1 bay leaf
    1/4 teaspoon basil
    1 teaspoon salt
    6 cups water
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    Brown hamburger and onion; drain well.
    Combine all ingredients in crockpot(slow cooker) and
    cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or on high for 3
    to 4 hours. If cooking on stovetop, cook till
    vegetables are tender.
    • CommentAuthormargie
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2015

Thank you for your tips and recipes, I can adapt all to suit my situation of chronic asthma through ss. I can tollerate nuts and love cashews. I used to make apple butter which I used with all sandwiches or oat cakes etc but limiting the type of apples I dont have the same flavour. I will try these.
    • CommentAuthormargie
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2015

I made the soup but used steak cubes and kidney input all veg and my homemade stock, cannot tollerate nightshades so used the garlic as you said. Popped in mushrooms and thickened it with rice flour and gluten, wheat free soy sauce. Having brown rice as a side. It is lovely, smells delicious and tastes brilliant. Thank you. Willfatherss.
    • CommentAuthorDcarpenter
    • CommentTimeJun 16th 2015

To snack on I made some energy balls:
    1 cup old fashioned oats uncooked
    1/8 cup cocoa powder
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup pecan butter (homemade with roasted pecans and salt)
    Mix ingredients together. From into small balls. Keep refrigerated until eaten. A nice way to get chocolate.
    • CommentAuthoreva
    • CommentTimeAug 18th 2015

Creamy Lentil Spread

1 cup of brown or green lentils (soaked for a couple of hours is optional)
    1 large leek chopped up
    1 large celery stalk cup up small
    1TBS ghee or more to taste

Cover lentils with water just to cover (too much water will make a soup instead)
    Cook until tender then add salt to taste only after lentils are cooked.

In a separate pan saute' leek and celery in ghee until tender and add to cooked lentils.
    Simmer lentils and vegetables for another 10 minutes.

Using blender or a food processor, process 3/4 of the lentil mix until creamy leaving some whole for a more interesting texture. If too thick to blend, add a little water.

Note: Failsafers that can have some carrots could add grated carrots to the vegetables when sauteing in ghee. It adds color to the spread.

Serve on failsafe bread, potatoes or Millet Squares: 1 cup of millet to 3 cups of water with a pinch of salt, cooked until tender and creamy. Transfer to a square dish and when cooled, cut it in slices or squares which you could brown slightly on an oiled frying pan, just as if you were making polenta, but instead of serving with tomato sauce, top it with the creamy lentil spread. Very nutritious, all you need is a salad to complete the meal.
    • CommentAuthorJoj
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2016

Passover or Orthodox Lent recipes, anyone?

Hi, I'm very to the Board but not new to concepts. :) I've just found out though that most of my 'safe' foods were reassigned to moderate or high categories a couple of decades ago, so I've had to go back to strict basics for a while. Not a problem: in just under 4 weeks, I've had great results showing my body is responding to the kindness of not ingesting allergens and irritants.

But in a very few weeks it will be Passover! I need lowest level salicylates/amines/glutamate and tyramine recipes! It's hard enough at the best of times, esp as I can't tolerate any dairy or wheat and my sole fruit is peeled pears. Rabbi said I can consider myself Sephardi and use rice, quinoa, dried (canned) beans and lentils. No nuts (epipen), no coconut, soy or almond; no spices. 1 teaspoon of sugar a day. (I don't normally use any) sorry for posting here, not sure how to start a new related thread.

Orthodox Lent (Nestisima) recipes maybe suitable.
    Thank you!
    • CommentAuthorCaptainHair
    • CommentTimeJun 7th 2016 edited

BREAD

I needed a SS friendly bread.

This is what I am using:"Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker with Yeast Dispenser" via Amazon.

Here is the recipe I used:
    4 cups of bread flour
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp dry milk
    2 1/2 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

on the basic setting, XL size, for 4 hours.

It makes a decent size thing of bread. It's a bit heavy and tastes great.

I used Land O Lakes whipped butter (pasteurized sweat cream, salt).
    Kroger's bread flour
    And a dry milk we had. All that is listed in the ingredients: Nonfat dry milk.

Anyway, it turned out great for me and I have had no noticeable reactions to it. Thought I would add it here in case anyone needs a simple recipe. Thanks.

UPDATE:
    I continue to have no issues when I eat this bread or the days that follow.

Thought I would mention though, in case someone ever tries exactly what I did, I found that I need to set the crust darkness to low. Otherwise it is hard to eat through the crust.
    • CommentAuthorCaptainHair
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2016 edited

• CommentAuthormbvalley
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2016

I am new to this site, does anyone have a good recipe for salad dressing for iceberg lettuce? and what is a decent alcoholic drink ...like vodka mixed with what?

Is there anyone who can drink light beer with no problems and if so what kind?
    mbvalley, this is a little late coming, but I am just now seeing your post. I have a simple dressing:
    1/4 c. Sunflower oil or Canola Oil
    1/4 c. Rice vinegar
    3 garlic cloves (with middle gutted out)
    1 tsp sea salt
    1 squirt lime juice (optional)
    2 Tbls parsley (optional)

Blend all ingredients in a blender, food processor, or smoothie bullet.

Possibly vodka with soda water and squirt of lime.
    Vodka with small amount pear juice and soda water.

I have had a GF light beer called New Grist with no problems. Using sorghum as the grain.
    • CommentAuthorJakeJohnson
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016 edited

interesting recipe- http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes.html
    • CommentAuthorElisheba
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2017 edited

Cool link on Herbs by someone with salicylate sensitivity
    Guide to Plant Relationships

(for food allergy and intolerance identification)

http://web.archive.org/web/20060203154200/http://www.purr.demon.co.uk/Food/RelatedPlantList.html