Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthor2013Celiac
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2015

Hi - I'm new to salicylate sensitivity. I've suspected it for a few months and have slowly cut out high salicylate foods, noticing improvements along the way. Recently, I've gone all-in on a low salicylate diet for a true test, and results are generally positive. Headaches are much better, I feel more alert, much less foggy, that's all good. The bad part, my stomach and digestion has been much worse, to the point of being very problematic.

I also have celiac and a dairy intolerance, so things get more complicated. Gluten free breads generally have multiple ingredients, some of which are high salicylate. I have eaten very little of this stuff anyway, but with the stomach issues I have had since going low salicylate, I kind of need something to calm it. The other thing that helps tremendously for me is coconut milk - how safe is that on a low salicylate diet? Coconut seems to be on the low end of moderate, is it possible to keep drinking small amounts (an ounce of two) of it? That is enough to help immensely. There is one flax milk, but I can not have it as it contains carrageenan where I live, and I can't have that either. Rice milk generally has carrageenan as well, Rice Dream is not safe for many celiacs as it uses a barley enzyme and while it tests at a less than 20 ppm gluten, I react to trace amounts.

On spices, obviously some are quite high. Some of the literature says it's not a concern because of the small amounts. What have people found in regards to that? The reason my stomach is worse, my stomach has always reacted adversely to bland food. The spicier, the better! I'm doubled over in pain at times again, not like before going celiac diagnosis and going gluten free, but I am struggling with the same foods I had no stomach issues with before when I used spice or barbecue sauce.

Also, I know cola is moderate, but in looking at coffee, decaf coffee is much lower than regular coffee. Are non-caffinated sodas better than ones with caffeine? I haven't touched any caffeine in years anyway. I have a lot of hydration issues, and once again, if I hydrate purely with water, my stomach goes on me. I need to mix in about 1 diet 7up every fourth glass to avoid issues.

Thanks everyone!
    • CommentAuthormegan112
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2015

Hi,

This is Megan. I haven't commented much on this forum although I read it regularly.

Personally I do not touch anything coconut. I get a topical reaction to any creams with coconut oil in them, and ingesting even the smallest amount of coconut oil gives me terrible symptoms. Hence I do not touch coconut milk!

With spices - I avoid anything red (chilli and paprika). I once just put the tip of my tongue into a thai dish with chilli and got a 5 day migraine for my trouble. Having said that, I sometimes eat it by accident and don't have a reaction. It all depends on the type of chilli for me I guess. I don't go near the indian spices like cumin, turmeric, ginger. I can eat coriander and parsley no problems, and salt of course.

I probably could have some spices every now and then, but if I'm going to eat salicylates, I'd rather get them from avocado or cocoa, which i really enjoy eating. It's always a tradeoff.

Caffeine is a massive no for me. The pathways that process caffeine are the same as the ones that process other chemicals. So the more caffeine you have, the more you reduce even further your body's ability to process salicylates. I would personally avoid any soft drinks anyway (pretend flavours like lime are usually salicylate heavy), plus the added caffeine makes them even worse.

This is just based on my own experience - you may have different reactions to these things. Trial and error is the key.

Good luck
    • CommentAuthorSheila
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2015

I thought I had to comment here today: how is it then, that Italian's, live off coffee as do the French, Greeks, Turks,Arabs etc. etc. IT DOES NOT AFFECT THEM............. so I think that perhaps these intolerances are not due to caffene at all. Also middle eastern people eat chillies and spices all the time, AGAIN NO ILL EFFECTS.
    I think we are barking up the wrong tree re: foods........ none of it makes real sense.

Mind you I don't know the answer either. I just saw from studying all of our posts - that none of it makes any real sense atall.
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2015

Sheila,
    Have all those foreign people had to deal with vaccines, gmo's, fructose, aspartame, glyphosate, fluoride, bromine, ect that has destroyed the digestive system in us who live in US have had to deal with?

Just saying!

Be Blessed

Wutamess
    • CommentAuthorSheila
    • CommentTimeAug 16th 2015 edited

Well I should think that Italians, Greeks and French (who all drink coffee by the bucket full) have had their fair share of vaccines gmo's, frutose, aspartame, fluoride etc Just as we have here in the UK. I'll admit the US has possibly the largest "nasty" diet in the World..... but the Western World in general also has this to a lesser degree.
    I wonder - do people who are in the 3rd World suffer from SS. But then again they don't eat the muck we do....just different. But back to coffee ! See European - as above. Mega tons of it.
    My worst reaction re: coffee is with instant....................... I can have a certain cupacchino out and I am fine.
    So what's the answer ? nay explanation ?
    • CommentAuthorJtoz54
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2016 edited

Who ever said they dont have any symptoms from the high sal foods or coffee. I have so many friends who drink coffee and use olive oil and tomato sauce and are constantly complaining about their aches and pains and migrines and arthritis etc but refuse to consider that it could be from what they are eating. We might have a very low tolerance to sals but at some point if other people eat a diet very high in sals they will start to experience some of our symptoms too. I used to love coffee. But it turns out it was giving me migraines. But now I have friends who get headaches but they have been brainwashed into thinking that coffee helps their headache. Maybe it does, but maybe it doesnt. And by the way have you ever seen that people who eat a lot of curry have very bloodshot eyes ? Olive oil does that to me. And curry is probably the highest thing in sals on earth.
    • CommentAuthorJoj
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2016

No coconut or almond unless you test OK for it, and then in small amount.
    Watch out for spices: most are actually quite high in content. What allows you to get away with it is how much is actually in the food you're consuming. A teaspoon of cinnamon in a large cake, you're having a slice? Maybe OK. A shake on top of a latte? No.
    In terms of caffeine, be very careful: it takes A LOT of testing. The first time round, I went 7 years drinking only water and very occasionally pear juice I made myself. This time around, I'm not allowed any fruit juice at all, and I'm not allowed near lemon juice (I could have a squirt in water last time). But this I am allowed one cup of full coffee a day, I can have one teaspoon of sugar a day (no artificial sweeteners or honey - luckily I don't sweeten coffee), and enriched rice milk, which is sweet. I can have decaf coffees throughout the day, and water.
    I work at a Greek social club. So I save my real coffee for work. :)
    And to answer your question, plenty of heavy-coffee drinking cultures have coffee-associated issues. Those affected drink tisane or water. Those cultures also Fast for health, and go meat-free regularly.
    • CommentAuthorKarenH
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

I tried switching from milk to almond milk and ended up with hives so I'd be careful. Almonds are quite high on the list (aren't they?) and there's additives in them, unless you choose to make your own.

As for coffee, I have drank it for years and it would really hurt to give it up, but I'm probably going to cut back a little. I seem to be fine with it.
    • CommentAuthorJoj
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2016

Rice milk is OK, Karen. It's sweeter, and a weird texture at first, but you get used to it.
    Seriously, my decafs are fine. And I'm a serious coffee girl - I'd wear it as perfume if I could.
    If you're craving something that seriously, or needing so much of it to feel functional, nutritionally speaking there has to be something out of balance in your body creating the need. For me, it was the overall discomfort of chemical overload for far too many years.
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017

Salicylates are a plant's natural toxin. We are not intended to eat these foods such as cinnamon, peanuts, sweet potato, etc. or consume salicylates in our beauty products in large amounts as they place a heavy burden on our liver and our adrenal glands to remove these toxins from our bodies. The trouble is salicylates are addictive to eat for all humans as they trigger an euphoric rush in us when eaten. They also cause inflammation in our bodies. Plus since the 1980's are food has been laced with salicylates from high fructose corn syrup, BHA, BHT, etc. Which explains the explosion of Autism, ADHD, cancer, etc. since the 1980's. You do not have a disease. You have a run down liver and/or adrenal glands that is causing your salicylate sensitivity.

Excerpt from ATP Science.com

Salicylates

Salicylates are organics chemicals found naturally in many herbs, vegetables, fruits, and nuts. Salicylates act like preservatives, they prevent rot and disease and protect against pests. They are stored in the most vulnerable plant parts; the leaves, bark, roots, skin and seeds.

Salicylate load and intolerance

We regularly consume salicylates and our body has to detoxify and clear away these chemicals before they accumulate. We have a threshold for symptoms. Once our salicylate load gets to around that level we start getting allergic style inflammatory reactions.

Once our load drops through avoidance and enhanced clearance the symptoms will often disappear. The symptoms will re appear if your salicylate levels creep up again. If your salicylate load is hovering around that symptom threshold than you can react every time you touch salicylate foods.

Signs and symptoms of salicylate sensitivity
    ◦Headaches, migraines
    ◦Itchy skin rashes such as hives (urticaria), eczema. Itchiness is often worse after hot shower and / or exercise
    ◦Irritable bowel symptoms – reflux in babies or adults, nausea, vomiting, stomach bloating and discomfort, wind, diarrhoea and/or constipation
    ◦Bedwetting, cystitis and increased frequency of urination
    ◦Asthma, sinus congestion, itching, sneezing and excessive phlegm
    ◦Behaviour problems such as irritability, restlessness, inattention and learning difficulties
    ◦Sleep disturbance and sleep apnoea
    ◦Anxiety, depression, panic attacks
    ◦Tinnitus
    ◦Joint pain, inflammation and arthritis
    ◦Swelling and fluid retention
    ◦Mouth Ulcers or raw hot red rash around mouth
    ◦Persistent cough
    ◦Sore, itchy, puffy, watery or burning eyes
    ◦Muscle cramp, tremor, twitch

End excerpt.
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017 edited

With that said, you need to strengthen your liver and adrenal glands to deal with the toxins. I recovered from my bout with salicylate sensitivity and so can you using these proven methods.

When you wake up in the morning:

First thing in the morning cut 1/3 of a fresh lemon. Pour water in a coffee mug or glass. Place the remaining lemon in tin foil and place in the fridge. Squeeze the juices from the 1/3 lemon into the mug or glass. Drink the lemon juice water slowly (approx. 5 minutes). The lemon activates the enzymes in the liver. Then take a 5 oz. Dixie cup and fill it full of water. Drink it with small sips. Repeat 2 more times. You will urinate a golden color within about 20 to 30 minutes. Repeat this process around noon, 5 PM and 30 minutes before bed time. After the first 2 weeks of this process cut back on the lemon juice by drinking it first thing in the morning and 30 minutes before bed time. After the 5th week you can wean yourself off of the lemon juice by just drinking it first thing in the morning. After the 7th week your liver should be healthy enough to drink lemon juice 3 times a week (morning) crucial step to strengthen your adrenal glands (lemon juice will remove calcium from the body and your adrenal glands do need calcium to strengthen the adrenal glands). Please note: If you start to have tenderness in the stomach area then please back off or go a day without the lemon juice method as the tenderness is coming from the acid of the lemon juice.

Eat breakfast within 30 minutes to an hour of waking up.

Breakfast should be plain oatmeal (Quaker's Oats - Old Fashioned or instant) I use old fashioned with milk and a dash of salt (Morton's iodized salt). No sugar, maple syrup or fruit as the sugar will further drain the adrenal glands.
    Breakfast may also be buttered toast (real butter - sweet cream and salt for ingredients), buttered toast with garlic powder sprinkled on top or peanut butter (Skippy Creamy)on toast as that fat and protein is excellent for the adrenal glands. Please note: 2 or 4 slices of buttered toast a week as too much butter will raise your bad cholesterol. Breakfast may also be eggs (over easy, scrambled or omelette) but REMEMBER only 2 to 4 eggs a week as the egg yolk is great for the liver but too many increases your bad cholesterol.

Here is a link to my ebook on the subject with the rest of my complete method.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06W9GY4FM

Talisman J
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017

Regarding stomach bloating, etc. consider this...

The body only needs a small amount of the trace mineral molybdenum which we can get easily from our diets. The problem is when you have a high copper diet the molybdenum gets used up rapidly by combining with the copper not the sulphites in our bodies. Men are supposed to have a 9 to 1 ratio zinc to copper diet and women are supposed to have a 4 to 1 ratio zinc to copper diet. Unfortunately a majority of the healthy foods they promote today (sweet potato, avocado, etc.) are high in copper and low in zinc coupled with the demonizing of eating red meat (best most absorbable zinc source - you can have 6 to 8 servings a week spread out) you have many people with high copper diets. The dark meat of the chicken (legs, wings, thighs) would be your other source of zinc as they have 19% zinc per leg, thigh, etc. A hamburger has 54% zinc.

Lower your copper intake in your diet, lower your intake of high sulphite foods and preservatives such as maple syrup, brown sugar, etc. and include green beans, oatmeal, 2% white milk (not chocolate as chocolate is loaded with copper) buy in glass bottle or jug not plastic (as the molybdenum will be used up attaching itself to the toxins seeped into the milk from the plastic jug), vanilla custard (Culver's Custard, etc.) and some kidney, black, etc. beans in your diet and you will get the results you are looking for. Remember too much molybdenum (usually from taking too many supplements) can be toxic to the body.

Go to World's Healthiest Foods website WHfoods.com and they have a list of 100 healthiest foods where they give you a breakdown of the vitamins and minerals in a serving of food - this will help you rebalance your diet.

Here is a website with a complete list of foods and drinks that have molybdenum in them in varying degrees.

http://wholefoodcatalog.info/nutrient/molybdenum/nuts_and_seeds/high/

This link will take you to one of the lists, then from there scroll down and you will be able to access the other lists of foods.

I have added Rye bread to my diet and it is an excellent source of molybdenum.

Also, most people who have an issue with sulfites usually have an issue with bad breath in some form - this is because sulphur is a cause of bad breath and sulfites are a form of sulphur. Getting the proper amount of molybdenum from your diet will curb the bad breath and will also alleviate some bloating in the stomach area as sulfites will also cause bloating.

Also, regarding drinking water...

I would consider drinking in small sips of water as scientific fact all of our bodies can only absorb a small amount of water at one time as the rest is immediately sent to the kidneys for removal from the body without the water being used to transport vitamins, etc. throughout the body.
    • CommentAuthorPony
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2017

Man I have a lot to learn. I may have MAST CELl ACTIVATION DISORDEr.
    I got super sick after having a flu vaccine in 2014. I found out too late that adverse reactions are common on my
    Father's side of the family. I was 2 months postnatal.
    I have visual disturbances(that still slightly persist), pain in the skin of my hands, terrible rashes on my scalp,
    Bruises all over my body, hives. It was horrible. I lost so much weight in a really bad way. Kept getting infections
    Got CT scans, MRI, Endo colon scopy, HIDA. No one could find anything.
    I went to a dietician who did the MRT leap and sure enough I was eating all the things I was reactive to.
    Then histamine intolerance came into the picture. I tried low sal diet for 8 days
    And my histamine intolerance kicked. I have been in a terrible cycle of anaphylactic reactions.
    Went to the ER. This is my second bought where it's gotten this serious. It's frustrating. Anyone else dealing with this?
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2017

Children's liquid Benadryl is great to combat breathing attacks and histamine intolerance induced attacks. One cap full helps greatly. I used it to avoid a few costly trips to the ER when I had breathing attacks from too much sals.