Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMolly123
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum as I had never even heard of Salicylate Sensitivity until a couple of days ago when somebody mentioned on Facebook that it can be a cause of hair loss so I have spent the last few days researching it to find out more and now I'm even more confused than ever! My story: I started losing my hair when I was about 16 and it continued getting worse until I was 21 and started wearing wigs. Initially I went to multiple doctors and had multiple blood tests, scalp tests, hair tests etc. and each time was told it was just something I had to learn to live with. I'm now 29 and still wearing wigs, my hair growth as remained much the same, gets better sometimes, worse other times. I'm aware that the doctors I went to were not hair loss experts and may not have known the answers or what the treatments options were but I didn't know who to turn to. My big question is.... does anybody know what blood tests I should have had to rule out specific conditions and how do I figure out if an intolerance to Salicylate or other chemical is the cause of my hair loss? I have read about the elimination diet but hair grows in cycles so I don't know how easy it would be to do the food challenges. Any help would be very much appreciated as I'm truly at a loss.
    • CommentAuthorcientxa
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2016

Welcome Molly123,
    I am new here as well. I don't know the answer to your question but you have raised one for me. What have you learned about the correlation between hair loss and salicylate sensitivity so far in your research?
    I am dealing with the symptoms of sals and
    hair thinning. Trying to find out as much as I
    can before getting thoroughly tested. I noticed thinning and symptoms of sals about 5 years ago, but did not have a clue what it was until I discovered this site a month ago.
    I thought thinning was just a part of hormonal change as we get older. I recently discovered a site that has lots of free browsing info on salicylate/oxalate issues: www.thecaptainslady.com that might be a helpful source.
    • CommentAuthorMolly123
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016

Hi Cientxa, nice to hear from you.

The only scientific research I have found so far is an article called "Salicylate Ingestion and Idiopathic Hair Loss" printed in the Lancet in 1968 that found people with idiopathic hair loss consumed higher amounts of Aspirin and Salicylate foods than controls. It also lists other potential causes of hair loss:

Hereditary - Familial.
    Medical -Argininosuccinicaciduria, cachexia, carcinoma, fever, hyperthyroidism, hypopituitarism, hypothyroidism, iron deficiency, puerperium, syphilis.
    Chemical.-Aminopterin, amphetamines, arsenic, bismuth, butyrophenone, chloroprene monomers, colchicine, cyclophosphamide, cystaselenonine, heparin, methotrexate, mimosine, potassium thiocyanate, progestational compounds, thallium, trimethadione, triparanol, vitamin A.

I know Celaic Disease is also linked to Alopecia. Basically any food allergy or intolerance can cause inflammation resulting in a long list of symptoms including hair loss. I have a number of the symptoms, as so many people do, but none that come on immediately after eating anything so it is very hard to determine what foods are the problem (if any). The thing that pointed me to SS was the fact that the list of high salicylate foods was like an exact replica of my weekly shopping list, with all the fruits, veg and nuts I was eating to be healthy.

I also found an app called "all i can eat" that lets you put in your food intolerances such as SS and then when you search for a food item it grades it for you. I would imagine this is very helpful for people who have already figured out what their intolerances are.

Has your hair thinning been progressively worsening over the 5 years? The thing that made me think that my hair loss was more than just getting older was the fact that over the 10years there were times when it started getting better and overall it hasn't deteriorated much more than it did in the first few years.
    • CommentAuthorcientxa
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2016 edited

Thanks for the research info Molly123. My thinning is just in my crown area and has not worsened it just remains thin even after I began taking hair vitamins (DasGro) and noticed my lashes and hair getting longer but no new growth in my crown area. It may be hormonal or hereditary.
    I started to notice it though around the time that I began having itching and breakouts related to what I eat. I should add that I stopped eating meat around the same time.

I believe the best thing is to get a test for Sals since salicylates are in EVERYTHING that grows from a plant. Even if your sensitivity is related to OXALATES or SULPHUR or HISTAMINES you will see the same foods on the Salicylate list. I was vegan until I started this detox trial and I have found that lamb and beef do not cause me grief like everything else I eat. I suspect that eating so many green vegetables and fruits over time has overexposed me to salicylates/oxalates/sulfur/histamines and I need to detox/purge my system.

I started a discussion on Calcium Citrate and Magnesium supplements and have begun researching them as an aid in coping with symptoms on a detox. It seems that they add back these important minerals that you lose eliminating greens and dairy from your diet.

Before I suspected Sals I had eliminated onions, citrus, bananas, cabbage, tomatoes over the years to no avail. I am becoming a bit sceptical of my Sals self diagnosis since I started a detox 3 weeks ago. I still have itching and breakouts using foods on the low/negligible list. Frustrating!
    I am trying to figure out if SS or MCS or something else is my underlying issue(s).

I am dealing with multiple issues but diarrhea is my main symptom: http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=3777&page=1#Item_6

For what it is worth when my symptoms started becoming intense (early twenties) I started loosing a lot of hair. Thinning hair runs in my family but no one ever lost as much as I did as early as I did. It could be completely unrelated but I found it odd. I went from having a lot of hair to next to nothing in about three years.

I should also note, the onset of my problems came at the exact time when I began consuming large amounts of vegetables and fruits. Watermelon, apples, pears, peaches, green beans, carrots, everyday all the time.

Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorcientxa
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

Restricting my summer diet to mostly fruits about 5 years ago to lose weight was the trigger for my symptoms. My life has never been the same. I gave up citrus and other fruits and veggies along the way but I have never been able to recover. Other sufferers on forums have regained their balance, so I am hopeful with persistence I can too. Sals has become the devil you know as opposed to the one you didn't before finding this and like forums. I figure that once I find balance my hair issues will follow suit if it is related to Sals.
    The important thing is to hang on and not give up. That has been the advice of those who have recovered.
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

Hey guys....
    I have always had a thick head of hair. When I started eating all the "healthy foods" like greens and fruits, my hair started falling out. It leveled off some. Then Someone told me to take MSM for other reasons. I was on that for about 2 weeks and I was dropping handfuls of hair a day...I started counting it in my brush, my average daily shed was 350 hairs. i wore it up because I shed so much, and it made it easier to count. Anyway, I figured the MSM had something to do with it so I stopped taking it... I also was flushing really bad and my cheeks were really red. I continued to loose hair. A few months later I started taking the California Earth minerals and my hair stopped falling out so bad... Down to about 50 a day. By the time i stopped loosing so much hair, I was down about 2/3rds of my thick lovely hair. Later I found out that if you have histamine issues that the MSM will make your histamine issues worse. I also found out that the histamine will make your hair fall out. Now it ranges between 5 and 20 depending on if I have a histamine issue that day. Most of us with these gut issues also have sulfur issues.. If I am not mistaken the MSM is Sulfur. I am able to take Epson Salt Baths with out issue. It has been a about 2 years and my hair is growing back. I still take the california earth minerals.

Hope this helps

Be Blessed
    Wutamess
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for chiming in with insight and for sharing your experiences. It is very helpful. It may turn out getting SS (and possibly other chemicals) out/off my body might help with even more issues. Thanks again!
    • CommentAuthorAvatar
    • CommentTimeMay 28th 2016

Hmm, I also have both issues, but never connected them. I can't say my hair has gotten better after cutting back on sals or ingesting clay, unfortunately. But my other health problems have put my cosmetic ones into perspective ;)
    • CommentAuthorstackland
    • CommentTimeJul 26th 2016

I'd like to stress the importance of Magnesium to strengthen hair, nails, and skin. It definitely reduces excess hair fall out with me (a problem I've had since I was 18 or so). Of great importance, it seems, is the Calcium/Magnesium balance. Too much calcium causes thinning skin, hair fall out, bleeding, severe gastric problems, etc. Too much magnesium causes rough scaly skin, diarrhea and also worsens candidiasis (fungal infection). I don't know how much of this information is my own personal reactions vs a general reaction for most individuals.
    • CommentAuthorMurielMeans
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2017 edited

Hi. There are various reasons of hair loss. Some of them are too much vitamin A, stress, lack of protein, anemia. My aunt lost her hair because of some health issue. She has now ordered products from this website http://www.ehairwig.com/index.php/hair-care/shampoo/growth-thickening-shampoo.html. I feel that the Hair beauty supply online products are helping her a lot to regain her lost hair. I would advise you to restore hair moisture through hot oil treatments, try rubbing your scalp with garlic juice, onion juice, or ginger juice. Rubbing green tea into your hair also helps a lot.
    http://femalehairlosshelp.com/
    • CommentAuthoraim163
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2017

your can get some tips about hair caring at http://www.hairplusbase.com
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTime2 days ago

Yes salicylate build up does affect the hair in negative ways. Remove the salicylate build up and your hair will improve.