Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    Can anyone recommend a SS safe bread recipe?

I really need to eat something other than just meat and milk.

If someone can recommend a recipe I think I will get a bread maker and see how I do with bread.

Right now whenever I buy bread off the shelf at Kroger's I ache all over (even my toes) and can hardly move.

Thanks in advance for any feedback or advice you can provide.

Steve
    In another post a member made mention of a site (fedup.com.au) for looking for recipes.

I found this recipe but don't know if this is SS safe: http://fedup.com.au/recipes/lunches-and-snacks/bread-howards-health-bread-in-the-breadmaker

Anyone know if this is SS safe?

Here are the details:

This is what we eat - you may have seen it on TV. Visitors often say it's the best bread they've ever tasted, yet it has NO added salt or fat. What's the secret? We think it is the high quality flour. We use biodynamic white flour that looks like wholemeal because it is stoneground. We order it in bulk from the local health food store and leave it in the freezer to keep it fresh. Our breadmaker is a Sunbeam Quantum Smartbake and we use the wholemeal setting. This recipe makes a 1kg loaf, so reduce in proportion if you have a smaller breadmaker.

420 ml filtered water
    2 pinches ascorbic acid (Vitamin C, optional)
    1 tbsp white sugar as yeast food
    680 g Demeter Biodynamic white flour (this is 3 level measuring cups)
    1.5 tsp dried yeast

Put all ingredients in breadmaker in the order above. Set the timer (takes nearly 4hrs) and wait for the wonderful aroma. The ascorbic acid helps to deliver well-risen bread every time. When finished, remove and cool before slicing with a sharp bread knife. Wrap in a clean tea towel and store in a cool, dry place to reduce staling. For more than two days, slice and freeze, or toast before use.
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2016

have you tried, bison, duck, chicken, lamb, cowpeas (black eyed peas), winter waltham squash, home made apple sauce out of organic yellow apples? Brown Jasmine Rice, white sushi rice?

Be Blessed
    Wutamess
    • CommentAuthorNamid
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2016

HI Steve,
    the recipe for bread looks good, only I am not sure about the yeast.
    If your body is at the moment very sensitive, you may have problems with glutamate, which is naturally in yeast

http://www.fda.gov/Food/IngredientsPackagingLabeling/FoodAdditivesIngredients/ucm328728.htm

"...How can I know if there is MSG in my food?

FDA requires that foods containing added MSG list it in the ingredient panel on the packaging as monosodium glutamate. However, MSG occurs naturally in ingredients such as hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed yeast, hydrolyzed yeast, yeast extract, soy extracts, and protein isolate, as well as in tomatoes and cheeses...."

MSG - Monosodium glutamate

I had a time, when it was hard for me to find bread. I can / could tolerate sourdough. Because I am from Europe, I am not sure if you have access to such a kind of bread where you live - and because we all are different you may not tolerate it.

Have you tried out to bake cookies or cake? For that you need no yeast - but I don''t know if you can tolerate the things like eggs, sugar, flour?

What about rice waffle. Here in my country they seem to be quite simple.

Best wishes
    Namid
    Hi Wutamess,

I have only been able to eat antibiotic free chicken and hamburger recently because that is all our Kroger carries. The closes Whole Foods is a good 50 minutes away from me. But I am going to make my way over there and see if I can get antibiotic free bison, duck, and lamb and see how it goes. Thanks for the suggestion.

I'm kind of afraid to try cowpeas, squash, or yellow apples to be honest (though I would love to). I thought I was okay eating Del Monte Lite Sliced Pears (Pears, Water, Sugar) but found I was getting sick every third day I ate them (this was in the last month). Also earlier (a couple months ago) I was sick each day I ate garbanzo beans (garbanzo beans, water, salt, calcium chloride, sodium metabisulfite and disodium edta). I yanked them back out and stopped getting sick.

I know I had yellow apples a year ago and got sick after two good sized bites. I don't know if it was just a SS thing or if it was a MCS issue. I washed it good and pealed it but I don't know if that was enough. I do know I was sick as a dog. Diarrhea within 30 minutes and body ached for about at day (hurt to squeeze my fingers, walk, and such).

I seem to only be able to eat white rice. When I eat brown rice I get sick within a couple hours. I've read a couple places where others dealing with SS said they had the same experience but didn't know why.

I've never tried sushi rice before. I googled it and the couple recipes I found seemed to say it was white rice with vinegar. Does that sound right to you (I just don't much about it)? I am desperate for SS safe foods so any info you can provide is awesome.

Thanks for taking the time to comment on my post. I appreciate it a lot.
    • CommentAuthorCaptainHair
    • CommentTimeMay 26th 2016 edited

Hi Namid,

@ The recipe for bread looks good, only I am not sure about the yeast.
    @ If your body is at the moment very sensitive, you may have problems
    @ with glutamate, which is naturally in yeast

Thank you for the SS feedback on the bread and the heads up about the MSG. I read up on it and yea I see what you mean. Darn, it is frustrating how many issues there are even with natural ingredients.

I am pretty desperate so I am going to give it a try. Ordered a bread maker last night and plan to give this a try this weekend. I’ll see how my body reacts short-term (right after eating) and longer-term over the next couple weeks (if I don’t get sick out of the gate). I’ll make a point of providing some feedback. That way if later someone is also looking for info it might be of additional help.

Thanks again for the feedback and the MSG heads up. I’ve spent so many years being told my issues were a functional gastrointestinal disorder (for the chronic diarrhea) and Fibromyalgia (for the intense body aches and fatigue). So I am really a newbie with the food intolerance in’s and out’s. Help from members here may help me get my life back on track. And member’s being willing to answer what are probably obvious questions are likely to help me do it a lot faster. So thank you (and all that help each other here).

@ sourdough

Man if I could eat it I would be so happy. The only couple brands they have at our Kroger’s have a boatload of stuff in them. I seem to have the same symptoms when I eat sourdough as other off the shelf breads. If I tolerate this bread okay for a few weeks I think I will try to track down a SS safe sourdough bread recipe. That would be awesome.

@ Have you tried out to bake cookies or cake? For that you need no
    @ yeast - but I don''t know if you can tolerate the things like eggs,
    @ sugar, flour?

I know I can eat the eggs but sugar and flour I don’t know yet. I will give the bread a try and then try to find a SS cookie recipe. I should be able to find a SS safe cookie recipe?

@ What about rice waffle. Here in my country they seem to be quite simple.

Wow. That sounds delicious.

I found this recipe online: http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/rice-waffles-241527

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 1 cup cooked rice (preferably day-old)
    • 1 1/2 cups milk
    • 1 large egg, separated
    • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

PREPARATION
    1. Preheat a waffle iron until hot.
    2. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then mix in rice with your fingertips. Stir in milk, yolk, and butter until just combined. Whisk egg white until it just holds stiff peaks, then fold into batter gently but thoroughly.
    3. Lightly brush waffle iron with oil and cook waffles according to manufacturer's instructions.

Does this seems SS safe? It seemed like it from what I could find about the listed ingredients.

I may even try this right after the bread.

Thanks again for taking the time to comment on my post. I appreciate it a lot.
    I make rice crackers. 1 cup white rice flour in 1 cup of water. Boil the water on medium-high, toss in flour and lower to low for a minute. Do not stir until after that minute! Gently stir until all the large flour lumps are out and let cool to the touch. Roll/knead it a few times and I usually divide it into 4-8 small balls, which I roll flat. Bake in the oven until crispy (I usually do 400 F). Watch to make sure it doesn't burn. I usually drizzle olive oil and sprinkle with salt.
    I also tolerate EnerG brand rice loafs. I usually eat the brown rice, but the white rice is almost the same.... water, rice flour, tapioca, safflower oil, pear juice, yeast, celulose, baking powder, orange citrus fiber (doesn't have Sals), dough conditioner (enzymes and calcium sulfate), and a few vitamins.
    A few notes on my experiences with some of the other things you mention: if you live in the country, you might be able to get some venison. As for beans... i found white navy beans safe, but all others aren't. Garbanzo beans in cans are a definite no.... but dried and then cooked are often ok for me, or if they are "processed" in hummus or italian chickpea bread. Many fruits like pears and apples I tolerate better if they are skinned and cooked. You may be reacting to chemicals in the cans or preservatives, not necessarily the food itself. I used to only tolerate white rice. After supplementing with a good multivitamin with a special form of folate and B12, I started being able to tolerate all types of rice.
    • CommentAuthorNamid
    • CommentTimeMay 27th 2016

Hi Steve
    here is a recipe I use for cookies:

shortcrust - shortpastry

60 g sugar
    120g butter
    250 g flour
    1 egg

temperature in the oven: 360 F
    time: 10-12 minutes

I use only 30g sugar because I get a dry mouth and I am very thirsty if I eat too much sugar. I made cookies even without sugar.

After finish making the dough, you make 1 or 2 rolls like sausages out of it. Then you put them into the fridge for 1 or 2 hours to rest. Afterwards you cut them into slices and put them into the oven.

Or you can put them into the freezer and make cookies out of them later.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

At http://britishfood.about.com/od/recipeindex/r/scpastry.htm
    I found a recipe without an egg.

200g / 7 oz plain flour or all purpose flour (see tip below)
    Pinch of salt
    110g / 4 oz butter, cubed or an equal mix of butter and lard
    2-3 tbsp very cold water
    Note:
    Makes approx 300g / 10 oz pastry.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

your recipe:
    look, what is in the baking powder. I have problems with maize flour, which is sometimes added. Therefore I use baking soda. But I always need something sour/acid. It can be yoghurt or Vitamine C powder. If in the recipe is mentioned to take 1 teaspoon baking powder I take half a teaspoon baking soda and half a teaspoon vitamine C.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

It is good that you can tolerate eggs.
    Are you able to tolerate milk
    And what about sour foods like yoghurt, vinegar, lemon or other sour fruits?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    sourdough

Steve, it had taken us a long time to find a bread which I could tolerate. At the beginning there had been times, when I was despaired. So I assume we all know how difficult it is to find food, which we can tolerate. So you are not alone on this way.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Moral, you rice crackers sound delicious. Thank you for sharing!

Namid
    Regarding the bread recipe (for anyone looking to make their own bread) . . .

I bought a "Panasonic SD-YD250 Automatic Bread Maker with Yeast Dispenser" via Amazon. I tried the recipe I found at fedup.com.au three times and each time it failed miserably. Each time it came out a block of goop. I am sure it was just me but after the third try I realized I needed to try something else. So I tried the recipe in the instruction manual and it came out wonderful. Best of all I have had four slices of bread each day for over a week now and didn't get sick once. No diarrhea and no aches (YES).

Here is the recipe I used:
    4 cups of bread flour
    2 tsp salt
    2 tbsp dry milk
    2 1/2 tbsp butter
    2 tbsp sugar
    1 3/4 cups water
    1 1/2 tsp dry yeast

on the basic setting, XL size, for 4 hours.

It makes a decent size thing of bread. It's a bit heavy and tastes great.

I used Land O Lakes whipped butter (pasteurized sweat cream, salt).
    Kroger's bread flour
    And a dry milk we had. All that is listed in the ingredients: Nonfat dry milk.

Anyway, it turned out great for me and I have had no noticeable reactions to it.

THANKS!
    • CommentAuthorcientxa
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016

This sounds like something I want to try today. I drink rice milk, so I think that will make an excellent substitute for the powdered milk/water. Thanks for the recipe.
    • CommentAuthormbvalley
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016

Does anyone have a good recipe for salad dressing?
    Equal parts vinegar (i use seasoned rice vinegar or apple cider vinegar) and oil (and works but I use olive oil... but not extra virgin! that is super high in sals). Add a pinch of salt and some sugar/sweetener (I normally use agave but have also used brown rice syrup or even apricot jam or something). When I want to get fancy, I add some mustard (not the plain yellow stuff but a nice course ground organic brand that is basically just mustard seeds and vinegar) and lemon juice (meyer lemons! because they are sweet, or i have a meyer lemon infused olive oil I normally use and just add a bit to the normal olive oil i add in) too.

For a creamy ceaser dressing, I use mayonnaise (spectrum brand made from canola oil), a dash of soy sauce and a generous dash of fish sauce, tiny bit of mustard (same kind as above), and some unseasoned rice vinegar or lemon juice.

Last night I found Drew's Italian didn't kill me and I mixed it with mayonnaise to make it "creamy".