Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    A couple weeks back I tried ingesting some maple syrup and got terribly sick (diarrhea).

Anyone experience this too or can think why one might get sick from maple syrup?

It was "Maple Grove Farms 100% PURE Maple Syrup". The kids and my wife were able to have plenty of it without issue. I had two cap fulls (about 2 tsp) and got sick a couple of hours later.

Thanks for any experiences, feedback, or insight you can provide.

Steve
    I tried this twice about 4 days apart and got sick within a couple hours both time. Thanks.
    • CommentAuthorhope2heal
    • CommentTimeJun 8th 2016

Interesting. My son had a bad reaction too. Which baffles me because it's supposed to be ok with salicylates and oxalates. Following
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2016

My hubby sometimes eats Applegate chicken maple sausage, the smell about drives me nuts.

Out of curiosity, what did you guys serve the maple syrup on?

Be blessed

Wutamess
    Because I have been ill on so many things and I am still trying to figure out what I'm dealing with, I literally just poured the syrup into the bottle cap and drank it. So I didn't add anything new. I just wanted to test my reaction to syrup before I actually started eating on anything.

My hope was to try rice waffles with syrup but I didn't get that far.

Thanks. :)
    • CommentAuthorhope2heal
    • CommentTimeJun 14th 2016

I drizzled a little on a sliced banana as a treat at a birthday party. He's fine with bananas, eats them everyday.
    • CommentAuthorwutamess

Captain hair,
    When you ate the maple syrup, did your heart start racing after you ate it? Do you know how to tell if you have a true allergy to something ( instead of a food intolerance)? Look up the Dr. Cacao test and try it for your self. Next time you test something, try testing a smaller amount, like one drop.

A few years ago, it was cherry season, so I picked cherries. Then I ate one. My heart started pounding. Ok so I am showing signs of a true allergy to cherries. I did not eat any more, but, I pitted a bunch with bare hands. I broke out with urticaria on my back for about two and half weeks. It was very painful. That was two years ago, now it is cherry season again. I was thinking about eating a cherry to see if it was any better, but it did not have to because as I was pitting them with gloves on, a drop of juice jumped on my lip and my lip burned for a few hours.

You can also do a skin allergy test, I can't remember how it is to be done, maybe some thing to research to see if you react to something without ingesting it.

Also, in another post, you mentioned your wife having to cook all your meals. Here is what I do so I am not at the oven all the time!

When I cook beef, bison , elk or lamb, I put a big roast cut up in chunks in a pressure cooker. I turn it on high and set the timer for 20 minutes. When it comes to pressure, I turn it down to simmer. When it is done I let it release the steam usually on its own. When done, I take out my meal serving, then I put rest of the chunks in containers and into the freezer. I use to use only glass bowls, but ran out of room and bowls for my freezer, so now I use ziplock snack size baggies. Each container hold one meals worth. ( try this on a few meals to make sure you can handle the Baggie.). I write on the bag what the meat is and throw it in the freezer. This makes it so much easier just to grab my meat, put it in a pan of water, throw some pre cooked rice on it and my veggie that goes with that meat. I got burned out really fast cooking everything fresh for every meal. When we travel, re make sure the hotel has a freezer in the room and I bring my frozen bags of meat and a hot plate and a pan. I can then cook my own food and not worry about finding food.

Hope this helps.

Be blessed
    Wutamess
    • CommentAuthorNamid

I tried to find out what is in maple syrup.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup

"...Maple syrup contains a wide variety of volatile organic compounds, including vanillin, hydroxybutanone, and propionaldehyde. It is not yet known exactly what compounds are responsible for maple syrup's distinctive flavour,[31] however its primary flavour contributing compounds are maple furanone, strawberry furanone, and maltol.[66]

New compounds have been identified in maple syrup, one of which is quebecol, a natural phenolic compound created when the maple sap is boiled to create syrup.[67] ..."

You may have problems with vanillin. It can activate the TRPV receptor (V stands for vanillin), which is in many parts of the body and it can cause many symptoms like burning pain.

There had been a discussion about it a while ago
    http://salicylatesensitivity.com/forum/comments.php?DiscussionID=1406&page=4#Item_34

Namid
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016

ISnt Vanillin a man made product? Synthetic vanilla? The syrup he used came right from the tree..
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTimeJun 20th 2016 edited

The key word is phenolic. Phenols are the parent chemical of salicylates. The food guide says that maple syrup is negligible in sals.......but that does not make sense to me since syrup is part of the trees defense mechanism.....which usually contain salicylates, although it has never bothered me.
    • CommentAuthorMoralAnimal
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2016 edited

Maple syrup is susceptible to fungal growths. I dont usually have problems with fungus, but if the maple syrup is a bad batch, then I get very sick. You have to find a different brand and wait out the season until next year's crop. Most people don't have a problem with such a low fungal level. But I can't do mushrooms either, so idk. The maple syrup at Costco is a good batch this year. Last year wasn't. Its trial and error.
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016

Do you have trouble with other sweets? Have you considered fructose malabsorption? 30% to 40% of the population. Unabsorbed fructose in the intestines can cause diarrhea, and sometimes migraines, and tryptophan, serotonin, zinc, and folic acid deficiencies. Maple syrup is mostly sucrose, so if you have fructose malabsorption, it's safer than high-fructose corn syrup, but it still contains a lot of bound and unbound fructose.