Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorSunrays
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2016

Hi, I'm new here, and I'm sorry I don't have time at all to search to see if this has been covered (full time elder caretaker). If so, I'd really appreciate a link to the thread :)

I've read a number of times that salicylates are common in cosmetics. What I haven't seen is a list of the cosmetic ingredients that actually contain salicylates, other than fragrances which are easy to avoid.

I've seen the products at the salicylate sensitivity website promoted as salicylate free, and I'm particularly interested in the sun block, but I am also trying to avoid all skin product ingredients that can kill the healthy bacteria on the skin. Unfortunately I don't have a list of those either.

Does preservative and fragrance free cover the salicylates (rose colored glasses on)?

I've emailed the Mother Dirt company to see if they know if their products contain any Ss, but I don't suppose the salicylate free product lines have been tested with respect to their affects on the skin biome?

Thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorLlij
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2017

Hi, in UK in supermarket I found a sun cream that doesn't list any salicylate type ingredients. It's called ultrasun face anti ageing sun protection for sensitive skin. White box with pink band 30 SPF.
    I also use a barrier cream on my face before I use makeup called dermaguard. It's goes on well and gives at least 4 hours protection. Hope this info helps someone. I
    I've made a list, since I cant find it here, its not exhaustive so please always read the label .
    This link can be used to search sals in products http://www.fibromyalgie-guaifenesin.info/en/salsearch/
    Also be wary of plant extracts.

Homosalate
    2-hydroxybenzoic acid
    Salicylic Acid
    Willow Bark Tree (Salix alba)
    Methyl Salicylate
    Gaultheria Procumbens,
    Sweet birch bark (Betula lenta)
    Beta-Hydroxy-Acid (BHA)
    Acetylsalicylic Acid
    Calcium Salicylate
    Magnesium Salicyalte
    MEA-Salicylate
    Potassium Salicylate
    Sodium Salicylate
    TEA-Salicylate
    Butyloctyl Salicylate
    C12-15 Alkyl Salicylate
    Capryolyl Salicylic Acid
    Hexyldecyl Salicylate
    Isocetyl Salicylate
    Isodecyl Salicylate
    Ethylhexyl Salicylate
    Myristyl Salicylate
    Tridecyl Salicylate
    Wintergreen
    Homomenthyl salicylate
    Ethylhexyl salicylate (Octyl salicylate)
    Trolamine salicylate
    Benzyl salicylate
    Amyl salicylate
    Phenyl salicylate
    Salicylaldehyde
    Salicylamide
    Salsalate
    Benzoates
    BHT
    Diethylamino hydroxybenzoyl hexyl benzoate (Uvinal A Plus, found in sunscreens)
    • CommentAuthorRita
    • CommentTime3 days ago

If your sal sensitive, your pretty much going to have a problem with all makeup. Just try to choose the ones with the less amount of ingredients and the ones that don't make you feel the worst. It's pretty much a hit and miss game. You've got to buy and try.