Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMichaelv03
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2016

Hi,

Has anyone here reacted to hydrogen peroxide (the disinfectant). Even when I use a tiny bit on, let's a small shaving cut or a spot, I seem to react very strongly to it.

I have a feeling hydrogen peroxide is extremely high in sals but have not found any info on it at all yet.

Any thoughts?
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeOct 21st 2016 edited

Hi Michael
    Has your hydrogen peroxide disinfectant any other added ingredients? If so then it could be these that are causing your problem.
    Salicylates are chemicals made naturally by PLANTS for their own protection, therefore salicylates are normally only found in plant foods or other substances made from plants. There are a few man made chemicals which are chemically similar to salicylates such as nsaids (Ibuprofen etc). Also the aspirin we buy in the shops now is a chemically manufactured salicylate (aspirin used to be derived from willow bark).
    Hydrogen Peroxide from a salicylate point of view should not be a problem for a sals sensitive person. However that is not to say you would not react to it for other reasons.
    Here is a quote I found online about Hydrogen Peroxide.. perhaps it may help you to investigate why you react to it:

"Today, hydrogen peroxide is manufactured almost exclusively by the anthraquinone process, which was formalized in 1936 and patented in 1939. It begins with the reduction of an anthraquinone (such as 2-ethylanthraquinone or the 2-amyl derivative) to the corresponding anthrahydroquinone, typically by hydrogenation on a palladium catalyst; the anthrahydroquinone then undergoes to autoxidation to regenerate the starting anthraquinone, with hydrogen peroxide being produced as a by-product. Most commercial processes achieve oxidation by bubbling compressed air through a solution of the derivatized anthracene, whereby the oxygen present in the air reacts with the labile hydrogen atoms (of the hydroxy group), giving hydrogen peroxide and regenerating the anthraquinone. Hydrogen peroxide is then extracted, and the anthraquinone derivative is reduced back to the dihydroxy (anthracene) compound using hydrogen gas in the presence of a metal catalyst. The cycle then repeats itself.[16][17]"
    Lindy xx
    • CommentAuthorklrskies
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2016

I react to hydrogen peroxide. my gums and lips get sore. I have been unable to use it in my mouth for decades.
    • CommentAuthorAvatar
    • CommentTimeOct 30th 2016 edited

If you're using the drugstore hydrogen peroxide on a cut, it's normal to experience bubbling, stinging, and your skin turning red or white. If you're using a stronger hydrogen peroxide, then STOP. Solutions of more than 3% or so can cause chemical burns.

Hydrogen peroxide needs "stabilizers" (read: preservatives) to keep from decomposing in the bottle. If even the lower concentration is giving you strong reactions, the stabilizers might be what you're reacting to.

Regardless, if hydrogen peroxide isn't working for you, then don't use it. But as Lindy has highlighted, it's not because it has salicylates.
    The human body produces a lot of hydrogen peroxide in every cell of the body. Its elementally only hydrogen and oxygen, so no sals. It is a strong oxidizer and tears any organic (ie alive) compound apart that isn't covered in a wax or oil, which is why the drugstore sells it at such a low concentration. Blood is especially high in compounds that react strongly with hydrogen peroxide.