Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2016

I have been suffering nasty post-exertional migraines. I know that salicylate exposure can mimic many of the symptoms of fibro, so I assume it can cause this. How do other people here avoid post-exertional migraines?

I also have exercise-induced asthma, and I have sensory processing issues, so I end up cooped up at home. My eye and ear protection isn't enough protection against strobe lights, hazard lights, turn signals, backup beepers, sirens, car horns, lawnmowers, leafblowers, angle grinders, and rest of the sensory bombardment around here, and I can get strobed or trapped on errands.
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2016

Not sure this will help but for 2 years while I was healing, I had no energy and was not able to exercise. The want in me was strong but actually doing it was not going to happen. All the sudden this spring I started riding my bike and the energey started coming back. Most of the issues I was having like extreme migraines, light / noise / smell sensitivity started going away. So basically, I guess what I am saying is, the more you heal the less you suffer from those things. I live out in the country and ride my bike out in the open, not sure how I would handle city life... probably not very well... What about getting an elliptical?

Wutamess
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeNov 7th 2016

Okay, but how can I exercise without triggering another migraine?
    • CommentAuthorJakeJohnson
    • CommentTimeNov 8th 2016 edited

Thanks for sharing. I read on the web about ways of maintaining a healthy and fit body. It described about guide fitness. It specifies ways of living a healthy life. You can see here to get more tips on living a healthy life. I hope this helps.
    • CommentAuthorwutamess
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2016

I could not exercise until my gut started healing... It was about 2 years.
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeNov 15th 2016

Animation can trigger or worsen my migraines, and scramble my eyesight and balance, so are there any resources without animation?
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeNov 21st 2016

I can't ride my bike any more, but I got a trainer stand for low-intensity exercise. I have bilateral ulnar nerve trouble, though. Any tips for reducing the strain on my arms when using the thing?

"first consult a trained professional" how would I do that?
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeJan 13th 2017

I would walk for exercise as biking, jogging, etc. drains the adrenal glands, shrinks the lungs and doubles the free radicals in the body. I would suggest walking at your local mall, YMCA (on the track) and/or around the block in your neighborhood for 20 to 30 minutes a day - or get a treadmill for your home.

Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorMarja E
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2017

I have hyperacusis, and strobe-induced vertigo, so going outside means risking more and worse beatings, and going to busy places is a nightmare. I am feeling better and have been able to bike longer lately.
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2017

Those are difficult issues to overcome. I would suggest they are a direct result and/or symptom of extreme anxiety which becomes a slippery slope as fears snow ball.

I would recommend playing video games such as Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Super Mario Brothers, etc. to strengthen and heal your brain and it's processing power.

The following is from various established websites:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/07/video-games-good-for-us_n_4164723.html

To better understand how video games affect the brain, German researchers conducted a study, which was released this week. They asked 23 adults with a median age of 25 to play “Super Mario 64” for 30 minutes a day over a period of two months. A separate control group did not play video games at all.

Examining the brains of the two groups using an MRI machine, they found that the gaming group had a rise in gray matter in the right hippocampus, right prefrontal cortex and the cerebellum — areas of the brain responsible for spatial navigation, memory formation, strategic planning and fine motor skills in the hands.

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39154288/#.UTmcSRlAumo

Most types of training only lead to improvements at the specific task at hand, with limited improvements on other tasks, even if they are closely related. "That's why when you give a test that's just a little different from what you did in class, half the students fall flat," Bavelier said.

The broad improvements in performance seen with action video games could be due to how they are inherently unpredictable.

"Our brains constantly perform probabilistic inferences — as you drive along and detect some unexpected moving object on the right side of the road, say a motorcycle, your brain will compute how likely it is that you are on a collision path with that motorcycle, and then infer from this probability whether you need to steer left or not," Bavelier explained. "This kind of inference is used each time we make a decision." Action video games give an edge "by improving this inference process," she noted, while strategy or role-playing games did not have the same effect.

These findings could not only improve rehabilitation after brain injury and help people with learning disorders - now "we have the means to impact everyday activities through that kind of training," Bavelier said.

http://time.com/4051113/why-playing-video-games-can-actually-be-good-for-your-health/

According to McGonigal, when people play video games, brain scans show the most active parts of the brain are the rewards pathway system, which is associated with motivation and goal orientation, and the hippocampus, which is associated with learning and memory. These are the two main parts of the brain that don’t activate when people are suffering from depression.

End of excerpts.

In short certain action video games, not 1st person or 3rd person shooters, exercise the mind and rewire the neurons in the brain to fire properly thus strengthening and reconnecting the processing power of the mind. I know this from first hand experience as I play Pac-Man (PS3), Castlevania, etc. on a daily basis to empower my mind.

I hope this helps as over time, playing video games, your mind should be better trained to process the incoming information from the outside world.

Please note, if you are potentially epileptic read the following:

http://www.epilepsy.com/information/professionals/about-epilepsy-seizures/reflex-seizures-and-related-epileptic-syndromes-6

Again, video games are a healing method that the doctors don't make a dime off so sometimes they are less inclined to promote it. And regarding your hyperacusis - lower the volume on the tv when playing the video games.

Good luck!
    • CommentAuthorAvatar
    • CommentTimeFeb 3rd 2017

Neat, TalismanJ--Thanks!
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTimeFeb 4th 2017

You're welcome! Avatar!
    • CommentAuthorTalismanJ
    • CommentTime2 days ago edited

Injustice Gods Among Us I & II (PS3/PS4 & Xbox 360/One) and PES soccer by Konami (PS3/PS4 & Xbox 360/One) are also good games to try.