Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorncsmom
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2017

Hi everyone. I have Celiac and SAL sensitivity. I am just getting into drinking kefir, and tried kombucha for the first time yesterday. I purchased it at Wholefoods, so only drank a small amount due to the fact it was made with caffeinated tea. I hope to start making my own soon, plus fermented foods.

If anyone else has been doing this for awhile, I would love to hear about it, and also some recipes you use. Also, I read one thread (from years ago) where one person stated they could eat SAL containing fermented food, because the fermentation process changes the composition of the food (even with spices added). Has anyone else found this to be the case? If so, what foods (fermented) can you eat that you otherwise cannot?

Thank you for any help you might offer.

Debbie
    • CommentAuthorSheila
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2017

Good luck with your trial.
    I can't eat ANYTHING fermented because of amines, vinegars, cheese, yoghurt etc etc.
    I also have a mold allergy, possibly thats the reason.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017

I can't eat anything fermented either.. I have never been able to since childhood.
    • CommentAuthorSheila
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2017

Nor me lindyd. I have never been able to take alcohol in any form, even a Babycham would make me go weak, just one !!!!!!!!
    But I wasn't event allergic then.
    Never liked wine or anything anyway.
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2017

Strangely I used to be able to drink babycham in my younger days..it was the one drink I could do in moderation I think it because it's made from pears rather than grapes. xx
    • CommentAuthorncsmom
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2017

Thought I would give an update on how it is going with fermented drinks/food. I have been drinking kefir twice/day, and increased the amount of kombucha I drink everyday without any problems. I also fermented some cabbage/golden delicious apples and carrots/apples (with low SAL ingredients), and have tolerated them very well. As a matter of fact, after reading the health benefits on www.culturedfoodlife.com, when I started coming down with the flu Tuesday, I drank 2 tbsp. of the cabbage brine, and instead of having a full blown case of the flu, it is milder than what is widely going around in my area.

I am also in the process of fermenting green beans, celery, sugar snap peas, and beets, but again, without any moderate to high SAL containing ingredients. And, my SCOBY should arrive today or tomorrow, so I can start fermenting my own kombucha.

For those who stated that they cannot tolerate any fermented foods/drinks, I assume it is due to some intolerance other than gluten or SALs???
    • CommentAuthorlindyd
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2017

Pleased it is going well for you :o)
    The fermented food issue for some people is a Histamine one. A lot of people who have sals issues also have histamine issues. In fact sals issue can be part of a wider histamine problem as salicylates are histamine liberators.