Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.2 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest!
Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    • CommentAuthorTwig
    • CommentTimeSep 25th 2017

Hi there- just hoping to get some feedback on what kinds of employment people on this forum find they can tolerate while managing SS. I currently have a very stressful job working as an underwriter for a mortgage company and I'm finding that every year is becoming more and more difficult with the amount of stress I have to deal with on a daily basis while trying to manage my symptoms (fatigue and brain fog are the worst things I struggle with at work).Not working right now is not an option for me, unfortunately, and I'd love to move into doing something less stressful but, this being all I've known for 9 years, I have no idea what to do or where to go. I just know I can't do this job much longer without suffering worsening health. The thing is, what I'm doing is a known evil and I'm apprehensive about exploring something else that may seem better but ends up being worse. I'm curious what others do for work and would love to hear from anyone who is working full-time and doing fairly well... maybe even likes their job? Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm not looking to make a killer salary- I just want a job that won't kill me faster than this weird condition.
    Twig,

I'm so sorry for your suffering. I don't have a specific job to suggest, but I want you to consider something. Is the fatigue and brain fog greater at work than elsewhere? For me it was. I do better in fresh air than anywhere else. Consider that it may be something that you are breathing at work. There are many printed things that trigger brain fog for me. Fragrances trigger my symptoms as well. The mechanism is by way of the trigeminal nerve (a sensory nerve). You also have nerves in your chest that are activated by things that you smell. For me this caused fatigue.
    I and others on this sight have written by TRP receptors. Salicylates activate TRPA1.
    There wouldn't likely be specific research regarding the breathing of aspirin, but there is research regarding methyl salicylate and we know that it activates TRPA1. (wikipedia says that a single teaspoon (5 ml) of methyl salicylate contains approximately 6 g of salicylate, which is equivalent to almost twenty 300 mg aspirin tablets. Methyl salicylates are used in a number of fragrances. Make sure that you are using unscented products.

If you are sensitized to Salicylates, you are likely, or may also be, sensitized to all other TRPA1 activators that you breathe. Taking Symbiort helped significantly with my fatigue. The doctor gave me this even though my original tests did not show that I had reactive airways. Years later I did test positive for reactive airways. You can use the search feature on this sight and read other things written about TRP channels.
    • CommentAuthorTwig
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2017

Hi TRP Sensitive,
    Thanks so much for your thoughts. I have definitely taken into consideration the things I breathe in. Fortunately for me, I work from home so I’ve been able to eliminate any inhaled irritants that I know cause symptoms. I don’t think there’s anything currently bothering me in that aspect. The fatigue and brain fog are much better for me when work is slower (which is not often). On the weekends, especially after particularly stressful weeks, I tend to need the entire weekend to recover, like I’m hungover from stress. Whenever I take vacation days I always seem to start feeling better by day three. Too bad weekends are only two days! Anyway, I’m keeping my eyes open for other work opportunities that might not be so draining on me. Again, thank you for taking the time to give feedback.
    God bless,
    Twig
    Twig,
    Two drugs helped me more than all others and may be worth a try. The first was Symbicort. My methacholine challenge test was negative, but I convinced the doctors that I was reacting to my environment. Years later, I did have a positive methacholine test. Within days after starting Symbicort my fatigue improved. Not back to normal, but much better. The other medication that helped with my brain fog was Gabapintin. Because my environmental responses are neuropathic, Gabapentin has been extremely helpful. I do take a high dose, 4,800 mg. I started at a lower dose and improved with every increase. I'm not okay, but much, much better.

God bless you as well,
    TRP Sensitive
    • CommentAuthorAvatar
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2017

I agree with others that (sort of) finding ways to improve your reactions will be easier/better/longer lasting than a specific job.

That said, just because you've always been an underwriter doesn't mean that's all you can do. I found careershifters.org immensely helpful in gathering the courage to leave a job I hated. Try imagining what your ideal career would be, and start making a plan to get there!

Plus, although I'm not on Upwork (yet), I also very much like freelancetowin.com for inspiration. Note that I haven't given money to any of these sites.